4 weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 weeks

hi all just thought i woulde let you know i restarted wine making 4 week ago and i have 3 kit wins on the go one of which i will be botteling tommorrow night. and i just started wine 1 from the begginers section which im well exiceted about because its not a kit and only works out 50p a bottle. will let you know how it turns out. cheers all.

You wont be disappointed
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Welcome to a great forum Jay, which recipe did you use?

Comment

the one on this forum site grape and apple juice. the only thing i have done diffrent was i used young's super wine yeast compound. i hope this shoule not make to much diffrence to the final result.

Comment

I have often used that yeast with that wine I found it came out fine.
          Getting better with age just like wine

Comment

I agree. There is some thought that it will give you an inferior wine, but it's the one I use mainly and I have had no problems with it.
            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

thats good to know .

Comment

Well done Jay, keep making and drinking the simple recipes while the good stuff matures. The Youngs super wine yeast is ok while it is fresh, once the tub has been open a while you run the risk of stuck ferments.

It would be an interesting experiment to use 3 or 4 different yeasts on a wine number 1 and blind taste the results. In theory there should be little (if any) difference in the finished wine due to the lack of complexity.
                National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                  It would be an interesting experiment to use 3 or 4 different yeasts on a wine number 1 and blind taste the results. In theory there should be little (if any) difference in the finished wine due to the lack of complexity.
                  that would be a good experiment, I'm thinking there may be more of a difference than one might imagine. Yeast plays a major role in phenol development.
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

This sounds very interesting indeed If it is reasonable to get some different yeast to you to try this I will contribute the yeasts I supply in my store.They are all lavin.
                    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Cheers Robert but we use Lalvin for most stuff anyway, Bob has been bulk buying.

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

I know I have a few more than he does to give different taste profiles. I think I have five different lavin yeast in stock.

Comment

[QUOTE=Richard_S;43271] The Youngs super wine yeast is ok while it is fresh, once the tub has been open a while you run the risk of stuck ferments.

Thats an interesting point, I kept it in the fridge when opened but have a few problems with stuck ferments, over past few weeks put it down to the weather, will have to think about getting a new pot and see what happens.
                          Getting better with age just like wine

Comment

Buy yeast in sachets instead, it will always be fresh this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                              Buy yeast in sachets instead, it will always be fresh this way.
                              Exactly buying in volume seems cheaper but most every thing in wine making has a expiery date.

Comment

Working...
                              X