Marbles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marbles

I have searched everywhere in my rather rural (and deprived ) neck of the woods and cannot find marbles anywhere.

Where does everyone else buy them?
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Mamgiowl Look in decorating stores they often have glass shapes to fill jars with to make them look more decorative. Personally I have only used this method once I lost a lot of product to it as the marbles settle the lees right through the fill and there is liquid mixed with that you get the idea. Any way what I do now that works I think much better is I steal the wifes whipped cream dispenser the type where you add the ingredients and use a co2 cartridge to whip the cream I make sure it is empty and pop a cartridge then spray the co2 into the carboy this puts a heaier than air blanket on top of the wine and protects it from oxidation works very well as long as undisturbed.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
      Personally I have only used this method once I lost a lot of product to it as the marbles settle the lees right through the fill and there is liquid mixed with that you get the idea.
      I dont understand why you would want marbles in with lees.

I think the idea is to rack off the lees first and make up the lost volume with marbles so there is no head space.

like this.....

I wish I was a glow worm
      Cos a glow worm's never glum
      It's hard to be unhappy
      When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

Yup! rack first

I bought mine from eBay
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I got a load in Morrissons - they were disguised as some kind of posh marbles for flower arranging or plants, but they work just the same!
          HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

I haven't got any at the moment, but I've seen them in the "Arkwrights" bargain corner shop type places......

If that makes any sense

Or if you have a local "pound shop", or even sometimes in Woolworths

regards

JtFB
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I have tried marbles, it is bolox.....don't even go there!

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
              Any way what I do now that works I think much better is I steal the wifes whipped cream dispenser the type where you add the ingredients and use a co2 cartridge to whip the cream I make sure it is empty and pop a cartridge then spray the co2 into the carboy this puts a heaier than air blanket on top of the wine and protects it from oxidation works very well as long as undisturbed.
              Way to go rjb....I use a Soda Stream cylinder with a beer keg valve to do the same thing, works a treat
              Alcohol causes you to forget things, and some other stuff I don't remember!

Comment

Originally posted by Zebedee View Post
                I dont understand why you would want marbles in with lees.

I think the idea is to rack off the lees first and make up the lost volume with marbles so there is no head space.

like this.....

I thought I would need to clairify myself here. I was making a red kit wine I cleared and racked once. The kit had skins in it and continued to drop out for a long time .When it came to rack time the lees were mixed with the marbles and so was the wine I gave mine to my grand kids I will stick with the co2.
                http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Thanks for the replies, gang. I've tried Woolies, but they didn't have any and the only flower arranging ones I could find were silver coated things. I never thought of e-bay, I'll have a look-see.

The CO2 is a bit technical for me so I'll carry on the search.
                  Let's party

Comment

The problem with Ebay for marbles is the postage costs are high because of their weight.

But good luck with your quest!

(What about Freecycle?)
                    HRH Her Lushness

Comment

I've tried Freecycle to no avail and I agree about postage cost on Ebay. However, it's my birthday soon so I've asked for marbles as a present.

I'll let the OH have the 'pleasure' of searching them out and/or paying pp costs.
                      Let's party

Comment

Ohhhhh sneeeeeeeaky.... I like your style!

I hope he's getting you more than just marbles tho... and I'll resist the jokes about him finding your marbles for you after you'd lost them....
                        HRH Her Lushness

Comment

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
                          Ohhhhh sneeeeeeeaky.... I like your style!

I hope he's getting you more than just marbles tho... and I'll resist the jokes about him finding your marbles for you after you'd lost them....

He'd blooming better, otherwise he'll be looking for some new round things of his own!
                          Let's party

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                            otherwise he'll be looking for some new round things of his own!

EEK!
                            N.G.W.B.J.
                            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

If you get some marbles does this mean you can Fly like Peter Pan
                              Getting better with age just like wine

Comment

Working...
                              X