None fermentable sweetner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• None fermentable sweetner

Hi all, a quick question on none fermentable sweetner...
    Will this show on a hydrometer? or give no reading at all?

Thanks

Alan

I would think yes because you will be altering the density of the water.
    Easist way to be sure..mix some up in a little water in a trial jar and test.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    Cos a glow worm's never glum
    It's hard to be unhappy
    When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

Originally posted by Zebedee View Post
      I would think yes because you will be altering the density of the water.
      Easist way to be sure..mix some up in a little water in a trial jar and test.
      Thanks zeb, the reason for asking is i made up 2 batches of christmas pudding wine, one to the recipe on here ,
      and the other without tinned peaches but 500ml of peach high juice cordial, both wines are now finished and cleared but the one with the cordial tastes no where as strong as the other.so if the cordial had lats of none fermentable sweetner in it this would explain the lower alcohol content, it fooled me lol

P.S hope that makes sense
      Thanks
      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by alan66 View Post
        Thanks zeb, the reason for asking is i made up 2 batches of christmas pudding wine, one to the recipe on here ,
        and the other without tinned peaches but 500ml of peach high juice cordial, both wines are now finished and cleared but the one with the cordial tastes no where as strong as the other.so if the cordial had lats of none fermentable sweetner in it this would explain the lower alcohol content, it fooled me lol

P.S hope that makes sense
        Thanks
        Alan
        That might be it Alan, though there also might be a difference in the amount of actual peach between the tinned stuff and cordial (weight for weight) - which might also affect the inherent amount of sugar in it - plus was the tinned in juice or syrup? that might also have affected it some, etc etc.

I'd guess that even such a slight difference in ingredient might make a difference in flavour. Though I couldn't say for certain as I've yet to have a go at that recipe (it's on the "todo" list).

They might still turn out similar/same when aged. Only you would be able to tell - though was there any difference at the earlier testing stage? Or was there any difference in finishing gravity ? Because I'd think that if the cordial one had non-fermentable sweetners in it, there might be a difference in final gravity, with the cordial one being higher - allowing for it affecting the density etc.

Ha! as long as they taste Ok, is it really an issue ? Probably not, just handy to know for future reference.

regards

JtFB
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
          That might be it Alan, though there also might be a difference in the amount of actual peach between the tinned stuff and cordial (weight for weight) - which might also affect the inherent amount of sugar in it - plus was the tinned in juice or syrup? that might also have affected it some, etc etc.

I'd guess that even such a slight difference in ingredient might make a difference in flavour. Though I couldn't say for certain as I've yet to have a go at that recipe (it's on the "todo" list).

They might still turn out similar/same when aged. Only you would be able to tell - though was there any difference at the earlier testing stage? Or was there any difference in finishing gravity ? Because I'd think that if the cordial one had non-fermentable sweetners in it, there might be a difference in final gravity, with the cordial one being higher - allowing for it affecting the density etc.

Ha! as long as they taste Ok, is it really an issue ? Probably not, just handy to know for future reference.

regards

JtFB
          Thanks jtFB, your input is always welcome.
          there is a huge diff between the two, the wine i added the cordial to has so much more body and character( i appreciate this can/will change with time) but it is very hard to tell it contains alcohol again if that makes sense? i think i will put both wines to mature for 3 months and then try with a glass of each. Maybe this way i would be able to give more of an insight to what is what...
          A young wine as you know can change soo much with a few months.
          Personaly short term this is probably the most frustating part of wine making for me , not letting it mature, but comparing 2 or more wines that have been fermented slightly diff and awaiting the outcome.

Thanks
          Alan

Comment

Working...
          X