Wine #1 volcano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine #1 volcano

Well after trying several wine #1 wines with several combinations of fruit juice and different yeats i tried one on sunday with the following

1 ltr co-op grape juice
    1 ltr co-op orange and pineapple juice
    2lb sugar (took sg to 1.100)
    half tsp tartric acid
    1 tsp yeast nutrient
    1 tsp pectolase
    yeast- gervin g4

Emptied both fruit juices into demijon, disolved sugar in 1 ltr of hot water, let cool and added to dj, topped up dj to shoulder with cold tap water, added nutrient,acid and pectolase, fitted air lock and left at room temp for a few hours, checked sg of 1.100
    Made yeast starter with 100ml luke warm water, 1 tsp sugar, and few drops of lemon juice. left this for 20 minutes at which stage it was erupting, stirred well and added to dj.

Now i have to say this was the quickest starter i have ever experinced, just a few minutes ( no more than 5) after pitching the yeast it was bubbling once every 2 seconds.
    10 minutes in and there was almost like large particles wafting around.
    1 hour on we have half inch of erupting mass in the bottom of the dj, swirling and erupting like no ferment i have ever had, it has now a cap that i thought was going to make its way up through the bubble...
    Geting a little worried now and also very amused watching it erupt, it didnt manage to break loose but 2 days on still erupting.

I imagine that there was a descent balance for it to take off so vigourosly?
    I must purchase an acid test kit and get more of an insight of what is going on..

I appreciate the yeast is a high alcohol yeast and wanted to experiment with a strong desert wine( once i noticed the sg), i will/maybe add a little more yeast and nutrient in a couple of days.

Any feedback/comments appreciated.

Alan

Ps it was intended to be a wine # 1 but then decided to experiment for a desert wine.
    Last edited by alan66; 28-10-2008, 10:13 PM.

I have just used 4 Lts of 100% Grape juice from Lidl price 89 pence a Lt.

I just poured the juice in the DJ, plus I put half a 2 lb bag of sugar, {the rest to be added later} added an airlock rapped in a cloth and put it by the radiator in the bathroom.

Returned about one hour later and the water was jumping out of the airlock.

I have used a number of juices all about 90 pence to a £1 per Lt, always use 4 Lts, never put water in, and I have had some very nice wines.

There again it is all a matter of taste, sometime ago I entered a wine in a local competition "Red sweet", and it took first prize although the judge said it was a bit over sweet for class. I entered the same wine in another competition it took second prize, talking to the judge after wards; he said, " It was a good wine if it had been sweeter it could have taken first prize. ?????

Comment

Originally posted by alan66 View Post

Any feedback/comments appreciated.

Alan

Ps it was intended to be a wine # 1 but then decided to experiment for a desert wine.
      Alan, this will not make a good dessert wine, it lacks fruit or concentrate.
      It will however make an aperatif, add some quartered oranges and lemons and about 4 oz of sugar when sg drops to 1.020, rack when finishe and add some orange and lemon zest for a couple of days, then rack and stabalize.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by alan66 View Post
        checked sg of 1.100
        Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
        about 4 oz of sugar when sg drops to 1.020
        This is going to be a potent aperitif.
        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

About right for an aperatif at 16.3 %
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thanks guys.
            i will do this duff and keep you posted.

Thanks for the info

Comment

I must confess that until tonight i have never had/tasted a aperatif, i went to a bonfire with friends and family tonight and took 1 ltr of this brew, i must say it tastes very very fresh and citric, AND what a bloody kick it has, its potent, lol but very drinkable even as young as it is, it only stopped bubbling thursday (with a little help as it was almost dry with the hydrometer) it was a hit ,even with my sisters who are fussy,lol

Thanks for the help on this one duffbeer

Alan

Comment

Working...
              X