concurrent malolactic fermentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concurrent malolactic fermentation

help, what the hell is that, is it good, bad, do i want it, do i need it, should i be ashamed if i have it, is there a cure, will i still be able to have children?

what ever it is, if i've got it, i caught it from a dirty toilet seat
    Pesky Pensioner, gets to the fruit before whiney workers. ook

It is a secondary fermentation caused by malo lactic bacteria, it can be a good thing and make a smoother earlier drinking wine, but in the event of potassium sorbate being present can be a bad thing and result in the fault known as "Geranium".

It can often be detected by much smaller bubbles than those in a normal ferment, and often has a slight cheesy smell.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I have a chardonnay from juice and a merlot from juice that are going through this right now. There is a constant ring of small bubbles around the edge of the wine The first ferment went down to 0.996 on the chardonnay and 0.998 on the merlot. I did not acid test this must when i got it as things were well under way my SG was already down to 1.060 on the chardonnay and 1.025 on the merlot I will acid balance and sulfite check after all is done.The first ferment ended three weeks ago.
      http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Ahh, but Rantan specifically mentions concurrent malolactic fermentation, which is a little different than malolactic fermentation, in general.

Concurrent malolactic fermentation (or co-fermentation, as it's sometimes called) refers to inoculating with a malolactic culture at the same time you pitch your yeast.

It's neither good or bad, but rather a somewhat non-traditional method of doing it, as opposed to waiting until alcoholic fermentation completes before inoculating with a MLF culture.
        Steve

Comment

Good point there Steve (geek)
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
            (geek)
            Guilty.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
              Ahh, but Rantan specifically mentions concurrent malolactic fermentation, which is a little different than malolactic fermentation, in general.

Concurrent malolactic fermentation (or co-fermentation, as it's sometimes called) refers to inoculating with a malolactic culture at the same time you pitch your yeast.

It's neither good or bad, but rather a somewhat non-traditional method of doing it, as opposed to waiting until alcoholic fermentation completes before inoculating with a MLF culture.
              Ok good point so what is happening to mine would be spontaneous MLF. Caused by the bug being naturally occurring as I was afraid to stop the process due to the advanced stage it was already at when I received the buckets?

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
                Ok good point so what is happening to mine would be spontaneous MLF. Caused by the bug being naturally occurring as I was afraid to stop the process due to the advanced stage it was already at when I received the buckets?
                Exactly. I've run across that a LOT in juice pails before. Last year I started adding Lysozyme to kill off all the ML bugs before pitching yeast.

But with Chard, it's probably not a bad thing, since that's one of the few white wines that actually benefits from MLF.
                Steve

Comment

This is my first pail juice wine that is not a set up kit. I was very nervous about stopping the process when it was as far along as it was. Do you think I was right or could I have stopped the process and set up to make a better wine?

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
                    ...could I have stopped the process and set up to make a better wine?
                    Lysozyme added at a dosage rate of 350 mg/liter will effectively stop unwanted MLF dead in its tracks.

MLF on a Chard or Merlot will be fine. Now if it were Riesling... well... Riesling and MLF is not such a good combo, unless you like your Riesling "buttery".
                    Steve

Comment

Ok I was more asking about the whole process. Like k-metta twenty four hours reinfect acid and so2 test. Just some advice for the next time.

Comment

Working...
                      X