Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source of Mycoderma Infection - Yeast Starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source of Mycoderma Infection - Yeast Starter?

Hi all..

Something interesting happened when I went into the kitchen tonight after work....

I have a yeast starter stored in my fridge, I made up a starter, made with part of it, and found it has developed a mycoderma infection.

This wouldn't be so interesting had I not started my pizza wine with the same yeast starter that had a mycoderma infection a few weeks ago.

Both wines are completely separated (one in the basement/winery, the other in the kitchen), and the only common thing they have with them is simply the yeast starter (Lalvin 71B-1122).

I'm only assuming that it's the yeast starter (however this shows no sign of mycoderma), but I think it's something to ponder. Interesting at least.

it wouldn't be wise to put a campden tablet in the yeast starter.... But I just thought I could get some input from you to see if you think I could be right.

M.
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 01-11-2008, 05:32 PM.
    Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
    Twitter: VirtualWineO
    Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Hi danina, what exactly is a mycoderma infection?
    sorry for butting in..

Thanks
    Alan

Comment

mycoderma (sometimes called flowers of wine) is an infection, normally airborne, that leaves a white layer on the surface of the wine, that "can" become fluffy globules.

Generally trreated with 100 ppm sulphite...2 campden tablets per gallon)

oh... and you werent butting in.
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 31-10-2008, 09:19 PM.
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        mycoderma (sometimes called flowers of wine) is an infection, normally airborne, that leaves a white layer on the surface of the wine, that "can" become fluffy globules.

Generally trreated with 100 ppm sulphite...2 campden tablets per gallon)

oh... and you werent butting in.

Thanks bob
        I will google it and see if i can find any images so i can see clearly what it looks like. theres somthin else i didnt know..
        Alan

Comment

Mycoderma, from what I understand, can only grow in the presence of air. I don't think the problem is completely with your starter, although it probably contains the bacteria.
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
            Mycoderma, from what I understand, can only grow in the presence of air. I don't think the problem is completely with your starter, although it probably contains the bacteria.
            My thoughts too Steve and if refridgerated or sealed would not allow it to develop, hence it appearing later in the wine.
            But would certainly be getting rid of the starter and racking / sulphiting the wines infected.
            Last edited by Duffbeer; 01-11-2008, 06:38 PM.
            Discount Home Brew Supplies
            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

So making the starter in a anaerobic condition would kill off the Mycoderma IE Air locked fermenter say a gallon jug?
              http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

hmmmmm

perhaps robert, but i think that if the infection is there, it wont grow in the fridge, but it will take hold once warmed and open to air
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                X