testing pH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• testing pH

This sounds unusual but I called a friend of mine to see if he had anything to test pH, he has a doctorate in physics, he suggested using a test kit for testing pool water to at least get a basic reading on what level my wine might be. Does this sound reasonable, Those kits are designed to test liquids, and it doesn't know if it's testing pool water the little ones have been splashing in or my wine which might not be to far off from that.

Paul

The problem with the pH meters designed for pools is that the accuracy is typically no better than ± .2. This means that if the pH of your wine is 3.5, the meter could show it being anywhere from 3.3 to 3.7. While that might not sound like a lot, it's a huge difference.

For winemaking, you really want a meter with ± .05 accuracy or better.
    Steve

Comment

I am too looking for a precise ph test kit for my wine,
      If any one could recomend one i would be greatfull.
      Thanks
      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by alan66 View Post
        I am too looking for a precise ph test kit for my wine,
        If any one could recomend one i would be greatfull.
        Thanks
        Alan
        If you do a search of the forums Alan, Bob recommended the pH test meter that I got - don't remember exactly but it was about the £20 to £25 mark and is accurate to about .01 (I think that it's linked from Bob's post).

regards

JtFB
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
          If you do a search of the forums Alan, Bob recommended the pH test meter that I got - don't remember exactly but it was about the £20 to £25 mark and is accurate to about .01 (I think that it's linked from Bob's post).

regards

JtFB
          Thanks buddy, i will have a search.

Alan

Comment

regards

JtFB
            Have searched JtFB and cant find the post.. will keep searching.
            Alan

Comment

are the ph testers on ebay what you are after it says there ok for wine
              this is the number 260309113903

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
                are the ph testers on ebay what you are after it says there ok for wine
                this is the number 260309113903
                Thanks flower i will wait for someone to come along and clarify that this will do the job.

(p.s i havnt forgot about your demijons flower, i am sorting the shed out next weekend as were geting ready to move and will get them to you..)

Alan

Comment

The accuracy is 0.1 not bad at all, but see if you can find better
                  Last edited by lockwood1956; 02-11-2008, 12:12 PM.
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Have searched JtFB and cant find the post.. will keep searching.
                    Alan
                    Well, after checking the forums I couldn't find the link that I got from Bob either, but a bit of digging around gave me this lot from Amazon.

Now the one I have is the second on the list, though I didn't pay £35 for it, when I got it, I think it was about £25 or so, but there's no reason why the first one on the list should be Ok as it seems that it's accurate to 0.02 which would be, as I understand it, plenty.

Plus it's price isn't half bad.....IMO

regards

JtFB
                    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I cant find the thread either

cant search for PH either...to short a word...will see if i can alter the search function
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Well, after checking the forums I couldn't find the link that I got from Bob either, but a bit of digging around gave me this lot from Amazon.

Now the one I have is the second on the list, though I didn't pay £35 for it, when I got it, I think it was about £25 or so, but there's no reason why the first one on the list should be Ok as it seems that it's accurate to 0.02 which would be, as I understand it, plenty.

Plus it's price isn't half bad.....IMO

regards

JtFB
                        Thanks buddy , i will have a look.

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                        I cant find the thread either

cant search for PH either...to short a word...will see if i can alter the search function
                        Thanks bob.

Comment

Thanks flower i will wait for someone to come along and clarify that this will do the job.

(p.s i havnt forgot about your demijons flower, i am sorting the shed out next weekend as were geting ready to move and will get them to you..)

Alan
                          thanks alan thought you had changed your mind just let me know when

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
                            thanks alan thought you had changed your mind just let me know when
                            No havnt changed me mind flower,lol, they are in the shed buried at the mo, i have to sort it next week so will give u a shout

Alan

Comment

Sorry to sound ignorant but what does ph do to a wine, is it in the taste? or what.
                              I do know that to high/low ph can kill fish as I have fount out to my detrement.
                              Just read this post out to O/H and been informed that it is the acidity in the wine. (see forth word in post she says), anyway do you think that I should worry about it at the moment, or just crack on untill I have mastered all of the basics.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X