Wine number 1 question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine number 1 question.

Bob, i started a gallon of this on Wed 15 October. After about a week or so, i racked and added a campden tablet. About a week ago i took a reading and it was down to 0992, knowing it wouldnt get any lower i then stabalised. The wine was just about clear after a couple more days, and now after a week it is crystal clear. My main question is, do i still need to de-gas even though it is lovely and clear? If not, i will just syphon from the DJ into bottles, but de-gassing is no problem.

It'll still need degassing even if clear.

Have a little taste, it will feel like needles on your tongue if it needs lots of degassing. Or it'll just fizz and pop when you shake the bottle! Gassy wine even has a 'smell' to it when you know what your sniffing for.

Hope that answers correctly, even though I'm not Bob..
    Last edited by Rich; 04-11-2008, 07:34 PM. Reason: Not Bob..

Comment

Yeah thats great cheers Rich. I tasted it, and it was quite sharp, so i have started de-gassing. I was suprised at how much fizz it actually produced! So my next question is, now that i have almost finished de-gassing, do i have to rack again and suphite, or can i leave it in the current DJ to finish?
      Cheers again!

Comment

Leave it as it is, if it's clear and no sediment, then no need to rack, and try to remember there is no need to sulphite at every racking, you run the risk of over sulphiting which is not good.
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Brilliant, cheers guys! So as long as there is sediment dropped in the next week or so, the wine should be more or less finished?

Comment

Exactly so...
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
            X