Doh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doh!

Karl and I processed this years apples, having frozen them, and then thawed, added sulphite to help prevent oxidation, but added too much, so the ferment wouldn't start (coupled with cold temps)

Yeast dry pitched (tsk tsk naughty me) ...nothing happened, gave it a couple of days, added another yeast....nothing again.....

got a heat belt and wrapped it around DJ......

nothing!

made up a yeast starter, got it going really well and while waiting, stirred the snot out of the must to release some SO2

pitched yeast.......

nothing

was wondering what else to do...

got up to make a cup of tea this morning and there had been an eruption of volcanic proportions....

took me 30 minutes to clean it all up

more morals in this tale than you can shake a stick at...

but the stand out message is....take your own advice Morton you moron
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

ROFLMAO... What a lovely tale, you've made my day!

...and thank you for sharing this with us - I'd have been VERY tempted to keep quiet!

(Have you got any photos of the mess? )
    Last edited by Her Lushness; 14-12-2008, 11:37 AM.
    HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      Karl and I processed this years apples, having frozen them, and then thawed, added sulphite to help prevent oxidation, but added too much, so the ferment wouldn't start (coupled with cold temps)

Yeast dry pitched (tsk tsk naughty me) ...nothing happened, gave it a couple of days, added another yeast....nothing again.....

nothing!

made up a yeast starter, got it going really well and while waiting, stirred the snot out of the must to release some SO2

pitched yeast.......

nothing

got up to make a cup of tea this morning and there had been an eruption of volcanic proportions....

Why do I get a feeling of de ja vou
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Maybe he snuck round to yours last night and added exta "umph" to all your cider yeasts so that you get the same thing happen to you...
        HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post

nothing!

pitched yeast.......

nothing

Excellent to hear that even the great and good amongst us can admit failings and c0ckups. Well done Bob </smallroundofapplause>

What was/is it gonna be ? Cider or apfelwein ?

Only I was thinking as I read your post about the way that some cider is made in Normandy i.e. the apples pulped and then left to oxidise to quite brown before pressing as it doesn't (apparently) affect the flavour, but it means that the result is a nice golden cider. Hence surely it's better to only use a very minimum of sulphate as it tends to stop the oxidation and, well, almost bleach it (the apple juice that is).

And yes, any phot's of the "damage" might be highly amusing

regards

JtFB
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Took your advice Karl after mine started and put a cloth over it made a little mess but i managed to keep it well under control its died down now and is bubbling like a good un

Comment

Bob, how many times have I told you - patience!

No, wait, it's the other way around, isn't it?
              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Similar thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, Bob. Tried a new bentonite product that you just stir into the wine without first dissolving in water. I dumped 40 gms of dry powder into 5 gals of freshly fermented Sauvignon Blanc. Funny, just as I started to dump it in I had one of those last minute thoughts that maybe I should've degassed the wine a little first.

Yeah.

At least a gallon fizzed out of the carboy and onto the floor.
                  Steve

Comment

EEK!

I always spill wine when i use my autosyphon...

no matter how many times I do it.....

(I stopped using the auto syphon....its the only safe way!)
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

2nd batch (after daily shaking to release SO2) has finally started to show signs of activity...

removed 1.5 litres to avoid volcanic activity

thank goodness
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Both batches of apple and the pear have now finished, de-gassed and are clearing, the apple is a tad on the acid side, but, i'm gonna let it rest for a while and maybe add some gooseberry concentrate like last year (yum).
                        Seems you must have got the bulk of that sulphite ooh well we live and learn
                        Discount Home Brew Supplies
                        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                        National Wine Judge
                        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                        X