Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to lie down

OK next question from me

when do you stand bottles of wine and when do you lie them down?

Anything in a screw top can stand forever. Anything with a cork we stand up for 3-7 days (Or until our lazy selves get them labeled) to allow the corks to expand. Then on to their sides they go to rest in the peace of the cellar.
    Life's more fun with a Polish Wine Princess!
    Half owner of Italian Floor Corker

Comment

They need to stand upright for three days before you lay them down.

but how long are you going to age them?

at first you probably are better off using the push in type with the plastic tops. and leaving them stood up, because you will probably do what just about everyone elso does at first......drink it quickly. (i still do sometimes but im getting better)

if you plan on aging them a bit then lie them down, and keep an eye on them for the first couple of weeks to make sure you dont have any "leakers"
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I would be inclined to use these stoppers if A. your not keeping the wine for more than 12 months if you don't want to cork them.
        B. youre not laying them down and will be consumed within 12 months I find that the "plastic topped cork" ones are somewhat awkward to remove as on many occasions the plastic comes away from the cork itself thus leaving you with a small cork stump stuck in the bottle and a near impossible option of trying to oust the stump without getting any cork shavings in the wine

Comment

Working...
        X