Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Days 1st batch bottled

Exciting day in the ScoPa household

Our 1st ever batch of wine is finally bottled. Started in June and fined last week. Has a fruity dry taste with a fair tannic furring on the teeth.
    So hopefully it will lie for a while.

Given the mistakes we have made with this batch we are over the moon to have it in bottles, though one cork appears to be fighting back!

Luckily we have about 200ml left to have an early taste with our dinner

Picture below.
    Attached Files

Looking good

N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Congratulations, and I hope you have many more bottles to fill...
      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

We'll be hanging around the bottle bins waiting to pounce

Just trying to work out what to do with my raspberries now, starting them off after dinner.

Comment

Try asking on Freecycle for empties, or at work? I have a chap at work who gives me about 12 empties a week which soon mounts up! (he's looking good on it too)
          HRH Her Lushness

Comment

well done, bet it seemed like the day would never come,

I have just started a batch, and can't wait for the end result.

whats the next one you are going to do?

Comment

We have a dj of gooseberry sitting clearing - probably bottle in May.

But the djs weren't even dry when I slammed 5kg of the most perfect raspberries known to man into the bucket

I was going to make rasp and orange blossom but the dried blossoms smelled too fusty so I changed my mind.

Now I can't decide whether to do a straight forward fruit or add a red concentrate. Ho hum need to decide today.

Comment

Raspberries on their own tend to be a bit overpowering!

get some white grape juice in there, and perhaps a different kind of fruit also, and beef the batch size up!

(blueberries or blackberries would likely work well)

regards
                bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

White grape juice? Instead of red. Hmmm there's a thought. I was going to try and make a light red - the colour is so perfect at the moment. So thought of adding red juice.

Also thought of adding banana to give it body. I'll have a look at the grape juice in Sainsbugs on the way home, as I tramp through the snow!!!

Comment

I've added 2 litres of white grape juice. I was planning on making 2 gallons anyway hence the 5.7kg I'd read somewhere that 3-4lb was adequate for rasps.

It's just kicked off. I've started at a lower SG as I've had problems with high sugar before.

It's currently 1062 SG Will take it to 1030 then add sugar back up to 1060. I'll probably try to stop it at 1005 as it is tarty flavour at the moment.

It was only a very light ferment when I left this morning (Gervin D).

Comment

Gervin D is a low foam yeast, so just because it isnt fizzing like a mad thing, doesnt mnean its not a lively ferment....examine the surface of the must to see..

there will be tons and tons on teeny bubbles fizzing like mad!
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                        Raspberries on their own tend to be a bit overpowering!

get some white grape juice in there, and perhaps a different kind of fruit also, and beef the batch size up!

(blueberries or blackberries would likely work well)

regards
                        bob
                        Cor, yer not wrong there Bob.

Actually, I found them still to be quite over powering even when mixed with other fruit (last batch was apple and raspberry) - so next time I try a rasp recipe, I'm gonna keep them down to a max of 50% of the fruit.

Ha! unless I want to make alcoholic raspberry cordial, then it'll be 100% rasps, ferment to rocket fuel, stabilise and pile in the back sweetening sugar/whatever to taste!

Alcoholic raspberry cordial over vanilla ice cream, now there's an idea

regards

JtFB
                        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                          Ha! unless I want to make alcoholic raspberry cordial, then it'll be 100% rasps, ferment to rocket fuel, stabilise and pile in the back sweetening sugar/whatever to taste!

you are being very naughty suggesting it John

have yourself spanked immediately
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            you are being very naughty suggesting it John

have yourself spanked immediately

Can I volunteer to do the spanking? I'll bring my own equiptment...
                            HRH Her Lushness

Comment

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
                              Try asking on Freecycle for empties
                              You can also ask your local pubs and restaurants. The landlord at my local saves me bottles when I ask.

Comment

Working...
                              X