Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
    maybe I'm just weird?
    ROFL, LMFAO, many a true word spoken in jest Bob...

Tee hee hee...
    HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Difficult to get in the UK, but we can get starsan which I love.

Also can get Chemipro oxi which i also love, but I still use sulphite solution when storing DJ's and I feel comforted by the solution still smelling strong when I un-bung the DJ. (maybe I'm just weird?)
      I keep my fermenters with a metabusuphite mix in them so they are ready to use when a customer comes in. For all the oher tools used in the process I use Oxi San http://www.abccork.com/CAStore/pc/sh...Submit=Search+ I find that customers seem to take to it better than Iodofor they ask a lot of questions when I did use Iodofor like does it cotain Iodine ETC. better acceptance with Oxi San
      http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Tell them that they need the iodine in their diet because with people reducing their iodized salt intake they are in danger of goiters. It was a customer of mine who brought this to my attention. Of course, one lot of McDonalds fries and you're probably good for 3 months.

Steve
        the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
        "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

wow

wow thats great info thanks every one.

Comment

maybe I'm just weird?
            MAYBE ????

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
            ROFL, LMFAO, many a true word spoken in jest Bob...
            Indeedy
            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
              YEUCK! just the thought of that smell makes me shudder!
              Tell me about it - it you get a bit heavy handed with the citric acid. WOW. Or should I say YIKES!
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Ok guys, i always use baby sterilising tablets for my homebrewing but am getting sick of having to soak stuff like plastic spoons, hydrometers bungs etc. I would like to start using a homemade spray like what Bob uses. So, what exactly is sodium metabisulphite or pottasium metabisulphite? Is this a fancy name for campden tablets? Also, could i use 5-6 crushed campden tablets in hot water, and use this as a spray santatiser?
                Many thanks

Comment

i have started using 6 campden tablets desolved in 500ml of boilled water and 1 teaspoon of citric acid. i keep it in a spray bottle well handy for hydrometers and spoons i have done some bottles with it to. i only use the shop bought stuff for the larger items. like 5 gallon buckets

Comment

Campden tablets contain 0.44g of sulphite, so to achieve a 10% solution you would need roughly 2 campden tablets per 100ml of water, bear in mind that the rest of the campden tablet is made of cakeing agents, so the shelf life or stability may be limited to that of normal sulphite.
                    Discount Home Brew Supplies
                    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
                      i have started using 6 campden tablets desolved in 500ml of boilled water and 1 teaspoon of citric acid. i keep it in a spray bottle well handy for hydrometers and spoons i have done some bottles with it to. i only use the shop bought stuff for the larger items. like 5 gallon buckets
                      The last sentence makes me wonder where you get your campden tablets.

Steve
                      the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
                      "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

and that means what exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                          Campden tablets contain 0.44g of sulphite, so to achieve a 10% solution you would need roughly 2 campden tablets per 100ml of water, bear in mind that the rest of the campden tablet is made of cakeing agents, so the shelf life or stability may be limited to that of normal sulphite.
                          according to c.j.j.berry (3million copies sold) you only need 6.

Comment

Jay, a 10 % sulphite solution is just that, in my mixing methods 100 grams of sulphite powder topped up to 1 ltr with water, 5ml of that solution will give the same effect as 1 campden tablet.
                            So lets take Mr Berry's thoughts into account, 6 tablets at 0.44 g = 264 g about the strength you need to make a 250 ml solution. The addition of acid will make it an effective spray / but will not replace the use of a sulphite solution, which can be diversified as a sanitiser or replacement for campden tablets as an anti oxident.
                            Discount Home Brew Supplies
                            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                            National Wine Judge
                            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

well it works for him.

Comment

Now listen, i`m starting to get a little confused! So, is that with citric or not? and how many campden tablets?

Comment

Working...
                                X