Gervin high alcohol wine yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gervin high alcohol wine yeast

Has anyone had experience with the Gervin high alcohol yeast? It says it can go to 21%, but how hard is this to achieve? I would like to make up a 20% wash and use some liqueur flavours. The reason I ask is I tried a prohibition kit and that finished at 1020 but should have got down to 990 so I failed at that!
    David
    Wine making noob

Well Spud, it's like all yeasts, they need the right environment to reach their potential, warmth, nutrient, oxygen etc maybe even a little tlc.
    Although unless your going to charcoal filter, I would avoid using this in a liqueur, buy some cheap Asda vodka, it's cleaner and will allow the full flavour of your liqueur to come through.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Yeah I was going to use some activated carbon when the ferment has finished and fortify each gallon with a litre of cheap vodka too Do you think a cupboard in a house is always going to fail at hitting 20%? I don't have the equipment to give something like that all the tlc it really deserves, like thermostats and heating pads etc
      David
      Wine making noob

Comment

Well to be honest, many of my wine making colleagues claim that reaching 22% without distillation is a myth, it is also claimed that it is highly unlikely that more than 18% can be achieved through natural fermentation. But hey ho, things change and move on so I don't agree with them 100%. Maybe you should invest in one of those water purifying thingies
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Lol I keep pondering using distilled water for my wine making, but I am scared incase the water vapour fills the kitchen and a spark sets it off
          David
          Wine making noob

Comment

Working...
          X