Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

checking the gravity of a pulp fermentation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• checking the gravity of a pulp fermentation?

How do I know what my starting gravity is for a wine heavy on fruit and undergoing a pulp fermentation?
    I've always just guessed that "some" sugar will be provided by the fruit, and so I go easy on the added sugar. This has always worked, but I never know exactly what I'm working with.

Likewise, same question regarding acidity.

cheers

For a pulpy wine try to let it settle a bit and use a wine thief or turkey baster to take out enough must to almost fill the hydrometer test jar. If it's a 'lumpy' must you can strain through muslin or a very fine seive. Sometimes a pulpy must is too fine for these methods so the last time I had this problem I added sugar to 1090 and hoped for the best. It turned out fine.

I'm not so hot on acid knowledge so can't help there. Sorry
    Last edited by Mamgiowl; 16-03-2009, 01:25 PM.
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

For a must containing suspended solids, take 7 off your hydrometer reading.

The table linked below will help you to work out (roughly) the levels of acid and sugar in your fruit.

you may also find the book "must" by Prof gerry Fowles useful in this regard. (£3.95...quite a technical book though....thats why i love it! )

hope this helps
      regards
      bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Geek!

(and it's not available on Amazon...)
        Last edited by Her Lushness; 16-03-2009, 04:47 PM.
        HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

thanks. Just tracked a copy down on ebay.

I presume if I use a refractometer, I wouldnt need to adjust my reading for solids?

How acurate would the gravity or brix measument be, given that much of the sugar is leaked out over time during the pulp fermentation (...at the same time that the yeast is using up the available sugar...)? I would imagine that taking an opening gravity reading on day 1 of the pulp fermentation wont give a true indication of the total fermentable sugar

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
            I presume if I use a refractometer, I wouldnt need to adjust my reading for solids?
            You're on the right track, except that you won't get a true reading unless you account for the sugar that's contained within the pulp.

What's normally done for grape musts (which contain a great deal of solids) is to extract a cupful, mash it all up real good, and then squirt a couple of drops onto the refractometer lens to get your Brix reading. This technique works for any pulpy fruit must.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
              For a must containing suspended solids, take 7 off your hydrometer reading.

How do you arrive at 7 ?

Is there a geeky formula I dont know about ?
              I wish I was a glow worm
              Cos a glow worm's never glum
              It's hard to be unhappy
              When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

I am the geek of geeks Zeb....you doubt me?

source = Progressive winemakng (Acton and Duncan) if you dont have it.....buy it!
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Better still.....I have a spare copy, you can collect it at Ponte wine circle next month
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
                    Geek!

(and it's not available on Amazon...)

No....but it is available from;

wine making,winemaking,virtual, wine, circle, virtual wine, virtual wine circle,home winemaking,make wine at home,home made wine,homemade wine,winemaking blog,blog,wine blog,grape growing blog,winemaking forum,winemaking discussion forum,grape growing forum,wine kit,wine making,mead making,make mead,amateur,home made wine,wine,wine,winepress,wine press,press,wine-press,grape,grow grapes,fruit press,fermenting,fermentation,cork,trellis,trellising,home wine making,home made wine,homemade wine,vintner,wine press,homemade,fruit press,winepress,grape,vine,vineyard,growtube,grow tube,grow tubes,blue-x,trellis,trellissing,wine,cellar,bottle filler,wine making,winemaker,home made wine forum,homemade wine forum,vineyard Supply,Logic,airlock,air lock,primary fermenter,primary, secondary fermenter,bottle filler,winemaking dvd,Vineyard Sprayers,wine forum,Winemaking,Adsorption,Airlock,kit wines,mead,mead wines,making homemade wine,wine recipes,winemaking recipes,winemaking techniques,Alcohol,Alternative wine closures Home Wine Making & Grape Growing discussion forum. FREE membership, Live Cellar Web Cam, discounts to members from various suppliers and more. There are product reviews and plenty of recipes from fruit wines, grape wines, to kit wines. This site is to help others who want more information on making home made wine.

£3.95 brand new

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

and I believe
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

And it is because the suspended solids (on average) increase the density of the must by approx 0.007 (in tests)
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by Zebedee View Post
                          How do you arrive at 7 ?

Is there a geeky formula I don't know about ?
                          Not a particular reliable way tbh, some musts will be higher in sugar than others, their are two ways that I find most reliable:
                          1 the refractometer will tell you the brix of the fruit so you can do a reasonably close estimation of what sugar to add.
                          2 take a reading over 2 to 3 days of the must and get a general idea of the sugar content, if you work on the low side you can add more before pitching the yeast. The must should be strained of heavy debris before using the hydrometer.

We must all remember though inacuracy is one thing we have to live with, we can get things near, but I doubt 100% accuracy is quite possible or nessicarry in a hobby.
                          Last edited by Duffbeer; 16-03-2009, 11:32 PM.
                          Discount Home Brew Supplies
                          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                            You're on the right track, except that you won't get a true reading unless you account for the sugar that's contained within the pulp.

What's normally done for grape musts (which contain a great deal of solids) is to extract a cupful, mash it all up real good, and then squirt a couple of drops onto the refractometer lens to get your Brix reading. This technique works for any pulpy fruit must.

Thanks, thats a great help.

Comment

Working...
                            X