Are my SG/Alcohol calculations correct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are my SG/Alcohol calculations correct

I’ve lately done some SG/alcohol calculations on some recipes in books and a lot of them seem to use too much sugar based on my calculations, so are my calculations correct?

For example, I looked at a recipe for good old Elderberry wine. The stated sugar was 1200g for 5lts. This will work out at 240g/l, according to the SG table this will give an SG of 1090 and therefore somewhere around 12 to 13.4%vol depending on what the SG drops to.

When you consider that this calculation is before taking the sugar from the fruit into account which is 3kgs of Elderberries and 500g of raisins, would this not put the actual final %vol much higher than 13.4, therefore too high level of alcohol and unbalancing the wine or not all the sugar fermenting and leaving it too sweet.

I see many recipes like this, some even higher in sugar, or are my calculations wrong?

Any comments from those in the know please.

Absolutely correct, this is the reason that the advice of this site is to use the hydrometer and if you have a refractometer to check the brix then that will help too.
    Here's a recent thread on a simular topic, you may find helpful.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Cheers Duffbeer,

I think I'll hold back on 1/2lbs of sugar on any recipe that seems high in sugar, then add it later if required

Comment

As a pretty general rule of thumb, I calculate to add 1.5lb of sugar per gallon to most recipes.

Obviously this is by no means set in stone, but it's a useful place to start from, ie add 1lb to start with, check the SG and then add more or not as needed.

I make up a solution of sugar syrup the night before I'm going to need it, by putting 2lbs of sugar into 2 litres of water. That way I can make a rough calculation of how much sugar I've added for future reference, and also as I add more sugar to my must, it's already dissolved, thus making taking a hydrometer reading easier.
        But remember!

***YOUR HYDROMETER IS YOUR BEST FRIEND ***
        HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            Copy cat...
            HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

does it count if you copy yourself (oh wait..........isn't that cloning?)

I believe i said it first
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post

does it count if you copy yourself (oh wait..........isn't that cloning?)

I believe i said it first

Fight Fight Fight

I'll hold the jackets

Just Bob, bob, bobbing along!

Comment

Working...
                X