Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermentation bin advice

Hi,
    I am a newbie and am currently due to start making my first 6 bottle batch of wine. I'm making wine from canned fruit and its juice.

I have bought this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Traditional-...AF8N0RZA98Z1HX which advises me to use a bin for mashing/fermenting.
    However the bin it advises to buy is one which doesnt have a fermentation lock?
    It says to add the sugar, water, yeast etc and then cover with polyprophene and seal it with an air tight lid and allow it vigourously ferment for 4 days, stirring daily.

Surely if the mush is vigourously fermenting the CO2 will need to escape somewhere? I dont want the bin to explode obviously!

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Simon.

Just cover with a clean tea towel or something for the first few days.

you dont need an airlock until you rack to a DJ.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    Cos a glow worm's never glum
    It's hard to be unhappy
    When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

Just sit the lid on top of the bin without totally pressing it home, so the CO2 can escape, your must needs oxygen at this stage, then at around 1.020 to 1.010 Specific gravity, rack to a DJ and fit airlock to finish ferment.

hope this helps

regards
      bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thats great thanks.

Methinks I will follow the tutorial on this site for making wine number 1 now that I've discovered it. Then it will be on to the tinned fruit.

Thanks again,
        Simon.

Comment

Originally posted by Clank007 View Post
          Thats great thanks.

Methinks I will follow the tutorial on this site for making wine number 1 now that I've discovered it. Then it will be on to the tinned fruit.

Thanks again,
          Simon.
          That's a sensible route.
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Working...
          X