Juice/puree/sludge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juice/puree/sludge

I was looking in the supermarket at the fresh juices, I didn’t realise there were now so many available. However, I also noticed that a lot of them contain puree in addition to juice, ASDA do one with cherry puree in, (grape and apple juice with cherry puree).

I was wondering if I make some juice wines with puree in, would there be an excessively thick sediment? I noticed they contain between 8% and 30% puree depending on what’s in them.

I’m sure some of the more experienced here have used these, are they ok?

The cherry one sounds great to try, so do the one’s with raspberry in and orange and mango.

Yep lots of "sludge"and sediment from these pressed juices also lots from Morrisons pressed cloudy apple juice !
    I don't know what puree they put into these juices but I think it might be ......sawdust....something to add body.?
    If you are prepared to undertake lots of racking for a juice wine recipe then have fun.I have learned my lesson and will approach them with caution from now on.
    Last edited by plonky; 04-04-2009, 01:00 AM. Reason: link

Comment

I've tried them and yes, they can be a bit of a pain, but if you're not too impatient they make very nice clear wines.
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Wish i'd read this post before starting another batch of wine number 1. Bought Don Simon apple juice from Asda as they've got a two for £1.50 deal on at the moment. It definitely looks cloudier than the concentrated juice I used for the first one.Its bubbling away and the airlock should start showing signs any time soon but I wasn't anticipating having to rack a lot more.
        Has anyone used Don Simon juice in the past?

Comment

Well I'd guess that it'd should just be a case of using a straining bag to get most of the fruit debris (a fine one).

There's also the debate about whether you'd just run it through the straining bag or whether you can squeeze the straining bag as well after the juice/must has finished running through.

I'd suspect that the "juices" with puree in them is that if it was pure juice it would be very expensive, so they add enough puree so that the taste/flavour of the target fruit is strong enough to overcome any of the taste from the "carrier" juice i.e. apple or whatever but with X% of the flavouring fruit (cherry). Whereas pure cherry, to get a litre of juice, would probably be very expensive as cherries aren't know for containing a huge amount of juice, but the right type can be very strongly flavoured, so they can market it as "cherry juice" or "cherry flavoured juice" but still using the apple (or whatever) as a bulking/carrier juice etc.

The last time I tried a juice with puree in it, I also had quite a lot of pulp fibre showing as the ferment settled (it was a turbo cider, but I added a litre of pear juice - with puree, as well).

regards

JtFB
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I recently started a batch of wine no1 with Tesco tropical 100% squeezed juice. It contains pineapple and 15% Mago puree. This very morning I've racked it into a fresh demi and had to top it up with 1.5 pints of apple juice/sugar syrup (1.080) to bring the volume back.
            In future, if I use sludgy juice, I'll make 6 litres of must for each gallon, then top up as necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Aid View Post
              I recently started a batch of wine no1 with Tesco tropical 100% squeezed juice. It contains pineapple and 15% Mago puree. This very morning I've racked it into a fresh demi and had to top it up with 1.5 pints of apple juice/sugar syrup (1.080) to bring the volume back.
              In future, if I use sludgy juice, I'll make 6 litres of must for each gallon, then top up as necessary.
              If you suspect that the juice you have might be sludgey, then make the batch initially in a 10 litre bucket, and make it as you've already said Aid, 6 or 7 litres, then whatevers left after racking it into a DJ to finish, can be bottled in a plassy pop bottle and chucked in the fridge/freezer and used for topping up as and when...

Sure it means that you might loose a bit but you're only loosing a bit of unfermented must, not fermented wine - which IMO is the better option...

regards

JtFB
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by halfastory View Post
                Wish i'd read this post before starting another batch of wine number 1. Bought Don Simon apple juice from Asda as they've got a two for £1.50 deal on at the moment. It definitely looks cloudier than the concentrated juice I used for the first one.Its bubbling away and the airlock should start showing signs any time soon but I wasn't anticipating having to rack a lot more.
                I use Don Simon juices all the time with wine # 1, have never experienced any excessive sediment problems and has always cleared well.
                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thats why I was looking at the 1 micron net bags they use for biodesil filters. I use a bit of tinned mango, which breaks down very quickly, and the jelly bags I've got don't seem to prevent it migrating into the must.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrosfx View Post
                    Thats why I was looking at the 1 micron net bags they use for biodesil filters. I use a bit of tinned mango, which breaks down very quickly, and the jelly bags I've got don't seem to prevent it migrating into the must.
                    The thing is, that 1 micron might be a little too fine. Yes, it's fair to say that you'd be talking "sterile" (or filters everything including yeast cells) at about .25 micron, but I'd guess that if pulp is proving problematic then it may well start blocking the pores in a bag/mesh of 1 micron, but also catch too many of the yeast cells as well and then cause the ferment to slow or possibly stick, because there might not be enough yeast that got through the mesh/pores with the required liquid element.

Yes, there's often mention of getting the must off the pulp, often to prevent "off flavours", but I'm not sure if that's connected with fruits that have very small seed's and the aim is to remove them or whether it's just to get the must off the pulp for other reasons.

Someone might be able to enlighten us - because I've also read about recipes/methods where you actually leave the pulp in for nearly the entire ferment.........

confirmation anyone ?

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by halfastory View Post
                      I asked this question a while ago and was assured all would be OK.

Have you added pectolyase?

Comment

Working...
                      X