Desperatley seeking christmas pudding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spritzer View Post
    How did your xmas pud wine turn out Billy ??

I only remembered about this, because when I was in Tesco the other day, the xmas puds are on sale

I still haven't got round to making this
    Not sure if I fancy it now

Well, I was planning to bottle today (in standard sized wine bottles) but I just racked and added a pinch of citric instead. I really couldn't drink a wine bottle full of the stuff in one sitting its far too sweet (and alchoholic).

I'm going to hang on and find some 375ml bottles for it (does anybody know where to source them and what size cork do they take?).

I'll send you a bottle if you like when I get round to bottling it?

The mrs tried it and she said its far too sweet for her. I have a sweet tooth but its definatley a sipper for me once every other month (or even just at christmas!) its currently sitting at 1.020 and I wouldn't like it any sweeter than that.

I started this is april and it was really quite harsh on first racking but its very much more rounded now.

over and out

Comment

Goodness gracious golly me!!!!!

I've just been and tasted mine and its lovely!

It's just been sat in a DJ for the last 18 months and tastes just like Sherry now. It's strong in alchohol, but not too sweet.

Roll on Xmas...
      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
        -----%<-----
        I'm going to hang on and find some 375ml bottles for it (does anybody know where to source them and what size cork do they take?).
        -----%<-----
        I get mine, when needed, from the local HBS. They're not usually much cheaper than 750's though and they take a standard sized cork (same as the 750's).

regards

jtfb
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
          Well, I was planning to bottle today (in standard sized wine bottles) but I just racked and added a pinch of citric instead. I really couldn't drink a wine bottle full of the stuff in one sitting its far too sweet (and alchoholic).

I'll send you a bottle if you like when I get round to bottling it?

The mrs tried it and she said its far too sweet for her. I have a sweet tooth but its definatley a sipper for me once every other month (or even just at christmas!) its currently sitting at 1.020 and I wouldn't like it any sweeter than that.

I started this is april and it was really quite harsh on first racking but its very much more rounded now.

over and out
          Thanks Billy... but it sounds waaaaaaay too sweet for me... so I will decline your kind offer.
          And you have just helped me make up my mind not to make it.
          Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

John, do they sell gren/brown 375ml? If so, can you give me some contact details for the HBS please?
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
              John, do they sell gren/brown 375ml? If so, can you give me some contact details for the HBS please?
              When he has them (and I've bought them), they've always been green ones.......

The shop/site is here but having looked he doesn't list them, so maybe it's that he doesn't manage to keep a regular stock..... possibly worth a phone call though ???

regards

jtfb
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

My concoctions are about 9 months old - two different recipes.

Remember, you can get a 2nd run out of these - when you rack for the first time,...........
                Doh ... i havent just put it down the sink honest :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Pad View Post
                  Doh ... i havent just put it down the sink honest :-(
                  How do you get a second run off it?

Comment

Hello,

I've measured the s.g. after 24 and a bit hours and its still only around 1085 should I press on and add the sugar or give it time to eat the existing sugar?

Its very active at present although it did take a little while to take hold I think largley due to the recent drop in temperature.

Comment

I would wait a bit - let the SG drop to 1.020 - 1.010 before adding more
                      Pete the Instructor

Comment

Roger that.

How would one go about having a second run?

Comment

So when the s.g. drops to 1.020-1.010 should I still go back up to 1.130 as suggested by the recipe?

The how to says after 24 hours add sugar upto 1.130 but it would have to be a very vigourous ferment to take it down to 1.010 after 24 hours?

If I take it up to 1.130 it should still ferment out and leave residual sweetness then sweeten (or not) after stabilising?

Comment

Ah - I have just read the recipe

It called for the fermentation to start at 1.090, then add sugar to 1.130, then ferment out, until either the sugar is consumed or the yeast dies through reaching their alcohol tolerance.

What is the SG now?

If in the region of 1.070 I would add sugar to around 1.110 - this will give you the desired alcohol level once it ferments out. If you are at 1.060, add sugar to 1.100. If at 1.050, add to 1.090, and so on.
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

Ah - I have just read the recipe

It called for the fermentation to start at 1.090, then add sugar to 1.130, then ferment out, until either the sugar is consumed or the yeast dies through reaching their alcohol tolerance.

What is the SG now?

If in the region of 1.070 I would add sugar to around 1.110 - this will give you the desired alcohol level once it ferments out. If you are at 1.060, add sugar to 1.100. If at 1.050, add to 1.090, and so on.
                              Oh right, I see. I'm down to around 1.045 as of last night but I've since hibernated two fermenters in a load of towels and stuck a hot water bottle in with them to get them going. So hopefully tonight it just be around the 1020 mark and I'll bring the s.g. back up to 1060

Thanks for the info :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X