Decanting Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decanting Wine

Just been reading about decanting wine (not for sediment removal) anyone here doing it did a taste test with some favorite shop bought red wine and the difference from decanting it from the bottle letting it "breathe" for about an hour and occasionally swirling the wine round gently in the decanter (I guess you could use an empty bottle) for a few minutes was amazing!

Friends thought they were two different wines.
    Last edited by plonky; 06-04-2009, 11:30 PM.

I've done it with my own wines and yes, it certainly makes a difference. I have sometimes opened a bottle too early ((haven't we all!) and found decanting smoothed out the 'rawness' considerably.
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I have a decanter the same as the one in the winesathome logo, and it really does change the way the wine tastes, letting it breathe for a while before drinking, the decanter maximises the area exposed to the air.
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Decanters are great for the most part. The only red wines I've found don't really benefit are aromatic varietals, such as Pinot Noir. Too much time in the decanter and they start to smell like ... well, actually they don't smell like anything if left in the decanter too long. But, other than that, they're generally beneficial.
        Steve

Comment

Working...
        X