Fermented too fast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermented too fast?

Started a wine number 1 on March 29 and a reading tonight shows its nearly fermented to dry. There are still bubbles rising near the bung so will let it go a few more days before racking.
    My question now relates to a second wine number 1 that I started on April 3. Its even closer to .990 than the first despite starting five days later! It fermented really stongly for the first few days and I noticed there was a drop in level so i'm wondering if there was initially a leak around the airlock. Can it evaporate during fermentation if there is a leak? The first batch was in a demijohn and the second in a plastic fermenter.
    Thanks for your help.

No need to worry. Some fermentations just finish quickly. I once had a batch of tart cherry wine that took only three days to finish. It came out very good.
    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by halfastory View Post
      Started a wine number 1 on March 29 and a reading tonight shows its nearly fermented to dry. There are still bubbles rising near the bung so will let it go a few more days before racking.
      My question now relates to a second wine number 1 that I started on April 3. Its even closer to .990 than the first despite starting five days later! It fermented really stongly for the first few days and I noticed there was a drop in level so i'm wondering if there was initially a leak around the airlock. Can it evaporate during fermentation if there is a leak? The first batch was in a demijohn and the second in a plastic fermenter.
      Thanks for your help.
      When you say plastic fermenter, do you mean bucket or a plastic d/j ?

On the evaperation question...I have never noted any form of substantial evaporation during fermentation, whether a leaky airlock or not.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Its in a plastic fermenter. I noticed a slight moisture around the grommit in the early stages and i'm pretty certain the level dropped but after pushing the airlock in further it seemed to ferment OK after that. Thanks for the quick replies guys. Really looking forward to finishing these wines off now and trying them. Thanks to this forum i've really got the bug.

Comment

halfastory, I had a tinned peach wine that fermented in about 7 days once

Comment

Working...
          X