Hydrometer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrometer question

What is the best way to get the wine from the demijon into the hydrometer?

The reason I ask is that after the first stage of fermentation with wine number 1, I poured the wine straight from the demijon into the hydrometer vessel. This unfortunately disturbed the sediment in the demijon so I am still waiting for it to settle again.

Is there an easier way to do this at all?

Originally posted by Clank007 View Post
    What is the best way to get the wine from the demijon into the hydrometer?

The reason I ask is that after the first stage of fermentation with wine number 1, I poured the wine straight from the demijon into the hydrometer vessel. This unfortunately disturbed the sediment in the demijon so I am still waiting for it to settle again.

Is there an easier way to do this at all?
    I use a turkey baster...
    Or you could get a wine thief from your HBS
    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

If you do get a wine thief then try and get one where you don't use your finger to hold the wine in place, these are cheap but if your finger slips a little then the wine ends up dripping everywhere

Not sure what kind of wine thief other people use but I have seen the ones with a rubber bladder on the top of the thief, you press the bladder and this draws the wine up into the wine thief - which you then squart back into a trail jar and then use your Hydrometer to take a reading.

Comment

I agree with the wine thief! Its a great tool and all winemakers should have 1 as you can use the hydrometer right in there instaed of the turkey bater where you still need to put the wine in a test jar to take a SG reading.

Comment

Clank:

I use a Fermtech Wine Thief. (see http://www.fermtech.ca/thief/thief.html) With a large enough batch (say 23 litres or 5 Imperial gallons), you can slip the hydrometer inside it and take the reading very simply.

However, a 1 gallon DJ isn't big enough. So I use the Thief to put samples into a hydrometer tube/jar containing the hydrometer.

Steve
          the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
          "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

With my wine thief and anyone that has the little stopper on the bottom, all you have to do is bob the thief in & out of the wine and each time it will fill more, I take sg readings out of 1 gallon jugs all the time.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

I like the name wine thief, its as if you're sneaking some out whilst no one is looking....

Does anyone have any links to a UK site that sells the one with the stopper that can be used in a 1 gallon demijon please?

Comment

Wine Thief
                Alcohol causes you to forget things, and some other stuff I don't remember!

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                  I think the OP wanted one for a 1 gal dj, Those don't fit if they are these ones,

I have a turkey baster I bought that fits in 1 gallon demijohn, or I sometimes just float the hydrometer in the dj if i'm feeling lazy
                  Last edited by Tuco; 27-04-2009, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuco View Post
                    I think the OP wanted one for a 1 gal dj, Those don't fit if they are these ones,

I have a turkey baster I bought that fits in 1 gallon demijohn, or I sometimes just float the hydrometer in the dj if i'm feeling lazy
                    You sure?

Comment

So is the general consensus then that one of these will fit a 1 gallon demijon?

I'd like to order one now but if it wont fit then I'll have to find something else...

Comment

Originally posted by Clank007 View Post
                        So is the general consensus then that one of these will fit a 1 gallon demijon?

I'd like to order one now but if it wont fit then I'll have to find something else...
                        I'd actually give any online HBS a ring first, the one I have came from Brouwland and it doesn't fit in "normal" 1 gallon DJ's.

I also have a turkey baster that I use specifically for wine making so I just take a few "slurps" from the DJ with that, and just run it into the test jar nice and gently, so as not to add too much air/oxygen.....

If you've measured a couple of DJ's to get an average size the "they" should be able to advise whether it will fit or not.

You could also get an auto-siphon, that way, you can use it to get enough out to test or use it for a "full racking" when it's ready...

regards

JtFB
                        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I use 1 gallon Carlo Rossi Wine jugs and the picture shown is the one I use and it fits right in.

Comment

I use a Fermtech Thief. It is a tight fit in my 2-eared Imperial gallon DJ that looks like the one in Wurzel's picture. I also have a 1-eared US gallon jug that came with apple cider in it. The Thief does not fit in that jug.

Both of the above take a #6 bung. Here in Canada, some gallon jugs take a larger #8 bung, so obviously the Thief will fit in those.

I guess it depends on the exact jug.

Steve
                            the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
                            "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                              I'd actually give any online HBS a ring first....
                              If you've measured a couple of DJ's to get an average size the "they" should be able to advise whether it will fit or not.
                              Sensible suggestion from FB there.

Since posting the link I have found somewhere that sells them cheaper and their postage is very reasonable.

http://www.homebrewcentre.co.uk/default.asp

Comment

Working...
                              X