Vanilla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanilla

I was able to get 20 vanilla pods for £2. No idea what I am going to use them for but when they are £1.50 for 1, I couldnt turn the idea up.

Now then, how to incorporate this into my hobby. Does anyone have a good recipe or suggestion as to how much to use.

Dessert or table wine? i think a sweet vanilla mead might be quite nice.
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well

Nice find, I think that the vanilla pods will go nicely with just about any melomel (fruit mead), try adding some to the ancient orange mead recipe. As for how much to add, that's down to personal taste and experimentation. The next mead I make will have at least one vanilla pod added.
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by wipka84 View Post
      I was able to get 20 vanilla pods for £2. No idea what I am going to use them for but when they are £1.50 for 1, I couldnt turn the idea up.
      That's a good buy.

If it were me, I would make ice cream. But maybe that's just me.
      Steve

Comment

Some will be made into ice cream, others custard. yum!

I'll only use a few on the hobby, but as I am a tight fisted whatchamacallit, I dont want to waste the pods, or the wine.

I'll try one into a mead and one into a wine no.1 and see how i get on.
        A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well

Comment

Vanilla Vodka?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
            Vanilla Vodka?
            No reason why not, but start with 1 pod in 1 bottle (700/750ml's) and leave it for a couple of weeks, then try it.

If it's not "vanillay" enough leave it longer.

Proper vanilla extract is produced with alcohol as the base liquid to extract the flavour, so it may be that 1 pod per bottle might be too much and you have to dilute it down - oh and you might have to sweeten it as well...

regards

JtFB
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

we keep a whole pod (uncut) in our sugar container, it lasts a very long time indeed and does wonderful things to the sugar.

just made a rhubarb and ginger jam in the bread machine, my first attempt at jam and it didnt set, but it does taste great and the addition of vanilla seeds contributed to the flavour way beyond the subtle
              To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
              A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

You must use at least one for a nice cake, and use the pod in a cream cheese icing. Delicious, really.

Or you could just use a bit to liven up a nice cup of coffee.

Hope you try it with the mead - would love to know how that turns out

Comment

Working...
                X