Adding body after ferment finishes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding body after ferment finishes?

Is this doable? Maybe someone can help me out?

I just finished a wine I made from Ribenna pure juice "Raspberry and Blackberry blend."
    I wanted to try and make quite a heavy wine so added a fair bit of tannin at a whole teaspoon. Also fermented it with some oak chips in there and fed it to get it to just under 14.5%.
    On reflection I should have added some raisins or sultana's for body, but I didn't.

So what I have now is something I think has a pleasant enough taste, but is a little overpowering on the alcohol front.

Would more body balance this out? If so any ways of adding this now?
    I've just put it away to bulk mature with a few more oak chips. Would adding some RGC help? Or maybe some glycerine?
    Or is it just a case of letting it do it's thing for a few months and seeing what it tastes like then?

I know that's a lot of questions but any advise would be appreciated!

Originally posted by piagio2000 View Post
    Is this doable? Maybe someone can help me out?

I just finished a wine I made from Ribenna pure juice "Raspberry and Blackberry blend."
    I wanted to try and make quite a heavy wine so added a fair bit of tannin at a whole teaspoon. Also fermented it with some oak chips in there and fed it to get it to just under 14.5%.
    On reflection I should have added some raisins or sultana's for body, but I didn't.

So what I have now is something I think has a pleasant enough taste, but is a little overpowering on the alcohol front.

Would more body balance this out? If so any ways of adding this now?
    I've just put it away to bulk mature with a few more oak chips. Would adding some RGC help? Or maybe some glycerine?
    Or is it just a case of letting it do it's thing for a few months and seeing what it tastes like then?

I know that's a lot of questions but any advise would be appreciated!
    If, by "overpowering on the alcohol front" you mean that it's a bit "alcohol hot", then that usually goes with ageing.

though if you mean that it needs a little more viscosity/mouth feel then one of the easiest ways is glycerine.

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I think it is indeed a little alcohol hot...but could also do with a bit of viscosity.

I'll leave it for a few months to ease the burn try a bit of glycerine to add the mouth feel.

Many thanks for the tips.

Comment

found that adding 5ml of glycerine per gall adds a bit of body and changes the juice types wines for the better.

As to the alcahol could you not try diluting the wine gradually with as small amount of water not sure this would work though ?

Comment

Originally posted by plonky View Post
          found that adding 5ml of glycerine per gall adds a bit of body and changes the juice types wines for the better.

As to the alcahol could you not try diluting the wine gradually with as small amount of water not sure this would work though ?
          Get some red grape concentrate and some sorbate. I would add the proportion of potassium sorbate said on the package per amount of wine. Then do a measured bench test using the red grape concentrate. until you reach what you desire. Do the math add the concentrator good to go.If smaller bottles of concentrate are unavailable get a low end red concentrate kit use what you need to balance your wine the make the kit holding back on a bit of the water addition watch your hydrometer and gradually add the last bit of water until you hit the right SG and you will have perfected two wines.
          http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Blending with a bigger wine is likely your answer, but I wouldn't ......

you are merely spoiling the bigger wine.

It is difficult, to add body after the event, it is much better (too late I know) to plan what sort of wine you want from the get go.....and ferment accordingly. You wont get satisfactory results after the event.

I would add a touch of glycerene to smooth things out (max 25ml per gallon) stabilise it, and sweeten it to around 1.020 to 1.030. The glycerene will smooth out the rough edges, and the sweetening will balance the alcohol (you "may" need to adjust the acidity too, to balance the sweetness.)

hope this helkps
            regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Bob let's try a experiment. Try my mentioned method on a wine you wish to add body and flavor to. The Portuguese that shop with me taught me this.The difference in what I do and they do is they use a fortified wine to do this with the yeast is over powered so no chance of referment. I use sorbate to over come this problem as I do not make grapa to fortify with.The wines I have done this way Improved In colour body and flavor. Just a thought.The added bonus is there is no chance of metallic over tone in the taste.
              http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Many thanks to Bob and RJB for your further tips. I'll leave it for a couple of months then give the glycerine and/or the RGC a go.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X