Youngs Chardonnay kit...Oh dear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youngs Chardonnay kit...Oh dear

My own fault really. Whilst bottling my first batch of wine ( A Youngs Chardonnay Kit) I didnt have enough to make the full 6 bottles (Instructions dont mention topping up after racking off....Come to think of it they dont mention racking????? )
    Also took 5 days to clear and even then I had to filter.
    Anyway rather than do a half bottle I suggested to my wife whether she would like to try some of it as is. I explained to her that its very Young and would lack body and maybe some flavour.....Oh dear

Her Exact words were "Thats the most disgusting thing ive ever swallowed"
    "It tastes like mouthwash"
    After tasting it myself I will have to agree it isnt like any wine ive ever had before. Quite acidic. Not much nose on it and pretty sweet tasting even though it fermented all the way down and I didnt sweeten it.

Is this the classic newbie mistake of not leaving the kit to mature and will sort itself out over time, or is this all that I should be expecting from a cheap Kit wine?

Originally posted by darrel View Post
    My own fault really. Whilst bottling my first batch of wine ( A Youngs Chardonnay Kit) I didnt have enough to make the full 6 bottles (Instructions dont mention topping up after racking off....Come to think of it they dont mention racking????? )
    Also took 5 days to clear and even then I had to filter.
    Anyway rather than do a half bottle I suggested to my wife whether she would like to try some of it as is. I explained to her that its very Young and would lack body and maybe some flavour.....Oh dear

Her Exact words were "Thats the most disgusting thing ive ever swallowed"
    "It tastes like mouthwash"
    After tasting it myself I will have to agree it isnt like any wine ive ever had before. Quite acidic. Not much nose on it and pretty sweet tasting even though it fermented all the way down and I didnt sweeten it.

Is this the classic newbie mistake of not leaving the kit to mature and will sort itself out over time, or is this all that I should be expecting from a cheap Kit wine?
    I've used a couple of their kits when starting out luckily two were presents and found them dissapointing (rubbish) though they did get a little better a couple of weeks later.

Now learned a bit think the reason they were awfull (but hey I thought they were great at the time) is that they have loads of glycerine in them to add body making them unaturally sweet and thick?.

Tried a couple of Beaverdale kits since and they are a class apart (not much more expensive when you do not have to add the sugar) as is wine No1+ No2 etc.
    Last edited by plonky; 11-06-2009, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Don't let it put you off, these cheaper end kit's do develop into 1/2 decent wines, but, the manufacturers do not instruct on patience. it will never be the best wine on the market, but if you let it rest 4 to 6 weeks you'll taste the difference.
      If you wan't a fast drinking wine try the Cantina Gold range, these are specificaly designed to be drunk early hence reduced tannins etc. I make these from time to time and have been very happy with them.
      Saying that if your budget and patience can stretch to a Beaverdale kit then your onto a winner
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I do the Young's chardonnay kit regularly. I follow the instructions closely (there is an error on the sugar - weigh it don't just chuck in bagfulls). I have never had the wine take longer than a week and it has always been good from the get go. Yes it improves if you manage to keep it! I make the 30 bottle kit and loads of friends swap various things for a bottle or two. It does taste better chilled and you do have to stir it vigorously to degass.

I will concur that the California Connoisseur Sauvignon Blanc is a superior kit but I don't often have the cash to indulge in that one and it is not always available in my local brew store.
        www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

I too have made this kit wine when I was starting out, and altho it tastes a LOT better after aging it 6 months or more, it's an ok wine.

It's not the best kit wine I've ever made, and I wouldn't make it now, but for a cheap and cheerful white wine it's alright.

I'd now make a Wine #1 any day of the week rather than make a Youngs kit wine, but that's just me. (Also a #1 wine is a lot cheaper too!)
          HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

When you take into account the cost of the kit and the sugar, you might as well spend an extra couple of quid on a Beaverdale or California Connoisseur kit. Quality wise they are light years ahead.
            National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S View Post
              When you take into account the cost of the kit and the sugar, you might as well spend an extra couple of quid on a Beaverdale or California Connoisseur kit. Quality wise they are light years ahead.
              'Tis an extra £15 quid for the upgrade! When you are brewing on a tight budget that is next to impossible to find most of the time I am going to try wine No 1 as soon as I have stashed up enough to buy the ingredients (will do a 5 gallon batch).

To be honest, I often suggest people try the one week Young's kit as an introduction to home wine making. It is done quickly so they don't get bored or forget where they are with it. It gives a good basic idea of what to expect in the fermentation process and supplies all the basic equipment too.
              www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Just an update folks. After putting the wine in the fridge and leaving it a few more days the wife says the wine has turned "very drinkable". I cant believe how much differance just letting it rest a bit has made
                Has given me the encouragement to buy the ingrediants today to start a number 1 wine off.

Comment

Now we're talking
                  Discount Home Brew Supplies
                  Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                  Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Just an update folks. After putting the wine in the fridge and leaving it a few more days the wife says the wine has turned "very drinkable". I cant believe how much differance just letting it rest a bit has made
                    Has given me the encouragement to buy the ingrediants today to start a number 1 wine off.
                    Great news
                    www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

10 days on and the final bottle was drunk last night.

Mother in law didnt believbe it wasnt an expensive commercial wine. Really impressed with it in the end. Given me loads of encouragment.

Comment

GOOD! And I'm sure that was the first of many happy brewings to come... hic...
                        HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

10 days on and the final bottle was drunk last night.

Mother in law didnt believbe it wasnt an expensive commercial wine. Really impressed with it in the end. Given me loads of encouragment.
                          Glad to read that. I always advise people to try that kit as a first go - it just can't fail to impress for the price. CHEERS!!
                          www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X