Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bubble bubble but is it trouble?

Hi there,
    I've just stared at have made 3 batches...two teabag and one merlot. The chai and merlot have been on the go 2 days and the blackcurrant, ginseng and vanilla 1 day.

My worry is that there are REALLY bubbling...worried I may have done something wrong and that it all may explode! When you look at the dj you can actually see the movement...is that normal?!! Also have put them in the kitchen and wonder is somewhre cooler may be better? Can anyone help please?

What's the temperature in your kitchen? My fermentations are very vigorous at the moment. It also depends on the yeast - some foam more than others.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by ISearchOfMe View Post
      Hi there,
      I've just stared at have made 3 batches...two teabag and one merlot. The chai and merlot have been on the go 2 days and the blackcurrant, ginseng and vanilla 1 day.

My worry is that there are REALLY bubbling...worried I may have done something wrong and that it all may explode! When you look at the dj you can actually see the movement...is that normal?!! Also have put them in the kitchen and wonder is somewhre cooler may be better? Can anyone help please?

The initial ferment can be like this.
      They should die down after a few days.
      Different yeasts have a different optimum temperature... but if memory serves me correctly, its around 20-25C ish.
      How hot is your kitchen ??
      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Red wines do ok at slightly higher temperatures, but above 30C might cause problems, if any of these wines are white, they need to be cooler...

it may well be that you just have optimum conditions, and they are just having a party in there

regards
        bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by ISearchOfMe View Post
          ...My worry is that there are REALLY bubbling...worried I may have done something wrong and that it all may explode! ...
          As long as you have an airlock it shouldn't explode, might foam over the top of the demijohn which might make a bit of a mess but you shouldnt get exploding demijohns.

My cysers always foam more than any other wines I make and I leave a decent gap at the top of my demijohn, alternatively I just place them inside a baking tray so if they do foam over, it doesnt go all over the floor.
          A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well

Comment

I have my DJs on a long tray i got from the garden centre, just in case the wines are a bit active at the start. They normaly slow in time. ( JUST LIKE ME VERY ACTIVE IN MY YOUNGER DAYS SLOWING DOWN AS I AGE!!)
            Getting better with age just like wine

Comment

Thanks all...am home now and they're still bubbling away quite happily partying it seems! Lol lyntom...know what you mean...am beginning to creak a bit myself!!

Comment

Working...
              X