X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter kit help needed please

Hi all

First post so be kind to me

I bought the Young's u Brew Wine Buddy starter kit 6 Bottle-7 Day Chardonnay 360g

I done it and we loved it...well happy

Can anybody give me some ideas what other wine kits i can use with the equipment i got as i got the bug to make more wine

I likes the idea of just adding suger

I have seen that youngs do a definitive 3-4 week kit ,can i use that

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Tony

Hi. Ive tried the Youngs Definitive Chardonnay and initially it was horrid, but within just 3 weeks to mature it became very drinkable. Bearing in mind you have the kit why dont you try a No 1 Wine as shown in great detail on here.
    Mine is nearly finished and its already smelling far better than anything Youngs has made, and its a fraction of the cost too

Comment

Hi Needy
      I personaly do not have a clue but i'm sure someone will be along very soon with some knowledge
      I just wanted to say hello =)
      Everybody should believe in something; I believe i'll have another drink!

Comment

Originally posted by darrel View Post
        Hi. Ive tried the Youngs Definitive Chardonnay and initially it was horrid, but within just 3 weeks to mature it became very drinkable. Bearing in mind you have the kit why dont you try a No 1 Wine as shown in great detail on here.
        Mine is nearly finished and its already smelling far better than anything Youngs has made, and its a fraction of the cost too
        Sorry for being dull but whats a No 1 wine shown on here

Comment

Originally posted by needy View Post
          Sorry for being dull but whats a No 1 wine shown on here
          This one... a wine made from supermarket juice:

This will be a supermarket juice wine, as this is the easiest wine to make.....should be ready to drink in about 4-5 weeks...oh and it tastes good too! :) follow the recipe and method closely and dont be tempted to alter anything, we want to build winemaking skills, and so will start with this simple wine, and then progress
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
            This one... a wine made from supermarket juice:

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=1562
            Ye cheers i found it and just had a read of it....and to be honist i scared of it

I havent got a demijohn or an airlock

All i got is the youngs 6 bottle kit....the one that is stupid proof...i only chucked in some sugar and 7 days later me and the wife were on our backs

Aint there any other kits like that.....stupid proof ,just add suger

Comment

i started with the wine buddy, still use the buckets for initial fermentation. in fact that is the only kit i did, then got got a couple of demijons from wilkos, so now i can have 2 wines on the go, i just cover one of the buckets with a clean teatowel, if you want easy kits then there are loads of choice, and all are nearly fool proof
              Last edited by stavross76; 09-07-2009, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Ye cheers i found it and just had a read of it....and to be honist i scared of it

All i got is the youngs 6 bottle kit....the one that is stupid proof...i only chucked in some sugar and 7 days later me and the wife were on our backs

To be honest, such things just don't exist as kits.........

There's a million and one ways to make your own wine, beer, etc etc but ones that make very strong brews, well some of the ones you buy off the shelf are a little stronger than some of the commercially made booze but apart from that you do have to work at it a bit (not really hard - but it takes a bit of practice and some learning..... oh and a DJ or two, and air lock are pretty much a basic requirement).

My local home brew shop sells a basic starter kit for about £5 or £6 (that's equipment-wise) then you just need to get a small kit like the one you've tried (didn't it have a plastic fermenter bottle with it ???) and you're off.

Duffbeer (Karl) would be your man to look up about kits and so on - if you search for any "duffbeer" post he has a link to his online HBS.

Whether that's all to much for you to start with is your choice, but a lot of the kits do come in larger sizes i.e. 5 gallons plus.

dunno if any of that helps.......... good luck anyway, and welcome to the forums.....

regards

JtFB
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Welcome aboard

please dont be scared of it, it is really simple...

Yu have a 1 gallon bucket with an airlock and a lid right?
                  use that instead of the demijohn

wine No1 will produce a better quality wine (in my opinion) than the chardonnay kit you purchased.

Its easy honest, and if you get stuck at any stage, you can call here for help

regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

There sure are here & here, the second being a superior quality kit and not even sugar to add, just water.
                    Discount Home Brew Supplies
                    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                    X