re using wine bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re using wine bottles

i have never brought a wine bottle that was empty and have no intention of starting. but is there an easy way to get the glue off the bottles, the paper is easy to scrape of with a knief but its the glue base i an struggling with, i have tried an airosol spray which was great but exspensive, so does anyone know a cheaper way than this, i have tried the child slavery technique but it was costing me far to many big macs,

any help please
    Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

I use a potato peeler
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

In the US, we have a product called "Goo Gone" that works fabulous for removing the sticky bits. Basically it's a citrus oil solvent. Not long ago someone here mentioned that there's a similar product available in the UK. The name of it escapes me at the moment, though.
      Steve

Comment

I use a stanley knife blade flat on the bottle, afte cutting a slot down a cork and fitting that to it. After a long soak most glue comes off ok.

Sometimes I find a drop of wd40 helps shift some stubborn glue, sprayed onto a rag first rather than the bottle.

If the glue mess is too bad, I recycle the bottle in the more traditional manner.

Comment

thanks for the tips i have seen goo gone in the shops i will have to try it, the worste to strip off is champange lables, they put them on with super super glue
          Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgerow View Post
            thanks for the tips i have seen goo gone in the shops i will have to try it, the worste to strip off is champange lables, they put them on with super super glue
            Ok, so as you've already had suggestions.......

I'll add a few more......

it's pretty straight forward to remove the paper, a good soak and a spud peeler. The problem is the glue.

Now some labels, you'll find just seem to "slip" when they've been soaked, those are the ones that have been stuck on with "animal glue" i.e. they require a bit of warmth, water to soak and soap.

The other 3 methods I've found that work well (and that's before you start the washing/sanitising process....... you'll understand why in a moment) are:

Cellulose paint thinners. It's quite cheap and is available from any Halfords or similar, but it's a "sniffers delight" solvent, so it's not usually on the shelf, you have to ask about it. Plus it's a good one to have to use in a well ventilated area. Plus a good supply of kitchen roll as the glue will attach itself to it quite quickly. If I use that, then it's a case of loosening the glue with the solvent, then rubbing until the glues been soaked up by the clean kitchen roll - that's until the bottle/glass is looking "polished", then it's washed under soap/water to cleanse and then the internal area is cleaned/sanitised.

Second, well that'd be "brake cleaner", but, and it's a big but, you need to find one that contains trichlorethane. Which rules out halfords etc. so it's a "proper" motor factor for that. The one from halfords doesn't "cut the mustard". "Proper" brake cleaner does. It's another one that needs to be used in a well ventilated area. Same sort of process as the cellulose thinners.

Finally, the best, but potentially the hardest to get hold of, if "Preptone". Now I don't know what's actually in it, but it's a solvent developed for the car spivving industry (ok, valeting). It's available from the AutoSmart van sales people, so you'd have to find out who the local rep is and where/when he calls somewhere you can meet him. It's designed for removing glues/adhesives from car paint surfaces. It's very good. It costs £20 a gallon but it goes a long way. I get it either from work, or from the local AutoSmart rep direct.

regards

jtfb
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I would like to add nail polish remover to the list.
              Hootus est

Comment

OK....

using the search function and entering "removing labels" would have brought you a ton of information,

please use the search function....and then add your bit to the relevant thread....keeps everything neat and tidy (my OCD showing through)
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by grandmawoods View Post
                  I would like to add nail polish remover to the list.
                  Yep thats what I use, although my girlfriend gets annoyed when I don't replace it!

Comment

thanks and sorry lockwood but when i looked i ended up with several threads but they seemed more interested with the inside rather than the outside. i will research the next question which is about flowers later

Comment

Working...
                    X