bugs and things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bugs and things

in all wine books (and in this forum) it always states that we must clean and sanitise all the equipment that will come in contact with the wine.
    what are these evil beasties that we must murder and what effect would they have on the finished product

i know about wild yeasts, but i don't know who upset them
    Pesky Pensioner, gets to the fruit before whiney workers. ook

Bretnamycees which will cause mouse, mycaderma which will cause flowers of wine, acetobacter that will cause vinegar....
    Just to name a few, all of which are airborn & will ruin your wine
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

sorry if i'm stating the obvious here but here goes anyway cos its something i find really useful to have in mind whatever i'm brewing. When we gather all our ingredients together and combine them for making a delicious home-made wine what we do is make a very nutritious and also tastey mix. So the amount of things that'll love chomping on it - and generally frolicking about and having a good time time in there (breeding etc) - is beyond measure. And on top of that you probably won't want anything in there apart from what you put in intentionally. As the alcohol content rises the amount of things that can live in it diminishes but its still easy to ruin from infection. Fortuneately there's plenty that can be done to prevent this as you know (an no doubt do, cos you've had success already).

its a very general perspective i know, but one that has served me well.
      To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
      A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Originally posted by rantan View Post
        i know about wild yeasts, but i don't know who upset them
        well thats just the thing......if you dont allow them access to party food (your carefully prepared must) they will just sleep...think of it that way rather than murdering them

Until they get access to your must, they are just slightly annoyed
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

thanks duffbeer for you honest answer
          thanks ms67 for your philosophy of life
          thanks bob, surely not if i use KI-V1116

i did a couple of hours research on the subject and started to lose the will to live, so if anyone knows any webpages that deal with the subject, in english that i can understand, please post a link

Comment

Originally posted by rantan View Post
            thanks duffbeer for you honest answer
            thanks ms67 for your philosophy of life
            thanks bob, surely not if i use KI-V1116
            hehe i also often wonder why grapefruits are so called.
            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

This is a good reference guide

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

as is this
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

wikipedia does a decent job of getting you started with some examples, i often go there first for reference type material and go elsewhere if its not what i'm looking for

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_fault

this one deals with lactic acid related stuff in some detail

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Win...nespoilage.htm

Comment

just what i was looking for and i never found, grateful to both for the links

in my research i came across this description of a contamination - a wet dog in a phone booth - if i come across that one i'm sure to recognize it

Comment

here are some more easily recognisable fault smells

Pear Drops
                      Geranium
                      Hamster cage (wet hamster cage)
                      nail varnish remover
                      wet cardboard
                      vinegar
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Will think of some more later (i'm tired right now)
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                        X