Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• campden tablet question :)

Hi,
    sorry to post yet another question. but would it be a good idea to use a campden tablet in my supermarket fruit juice wines. are they some kind of antibiotic?

I managed to get a steady supply of cork neck wine bottles . my wife works at a big restaurant and after reading a post on here i asked her to find out from work. and what do you know about 6 every night at the weekend.
    Today she is doing a wedding. so there should be plenty of shampagne bottles. would these be ok for storing my wine or is there a better use for them ?

Kind Regards

Doug
    Last edited by Doug; 05-09-2009, 12:18 PM.

When fermentation is complete, add a campden tablet, it isnt an antibiotic, no, but it will prevent spoilage organisms ruining your wine, and helpporevention of oxidation

see here
    This will be a supermarket juice wine, as this is the easiest wine to make.....should be ready to drink in about 4-5 weeks...oh and it tastes good too! :) follow the recipe and method closely and dont be tempted to alter anything, we want to build winemaking skills, and so will start with this simple wine, and then progress

follow the methodology in the tutorial and you wont go far wrong

see here for some good reading material

N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post
      Today she is doing a wedding. so there should be plenty of shampagne bottles. would these be ok for storing my wine or is there a better use for them ?
      Champagne bottles are ok for use, but you need a different kind of stopper, however if you arent making sparkling wine, I would be happy to swap you for some normal bottles

cheers
      bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

ok will read the tutorials an other reading.

As for the bottles as soon as i know she has them and brought them home. i will let you know. i will not be making sparkling wine at this stage in my wine making so you can gladly swap. as soon as i have more details on it i will let you know

Comment

Working...
        X