Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• death by elderberries

Hello,

just picked a load of elderberries and started to destem them, there quite a lot of tiny bits of stalk still floating about and I'm very much fed up of trying to remove it all. Do I really have too?

Its near impossible!

its really depressing picked 2 carrier bags worth took less than 1/2 hour but took over 3 hours to destem got most of bits out. remember to wash and remove all that float as they are not ripe
    http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
    http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by kampervan View Post
      its really depressing picked 2 carrier bags worth took less than 1/2 hour but took over 3 hours to destem got most of bits out. remember to wash and remove all that float as they are not ripe

roger that,

it better be good after all that work!

We had a full carrier bag full of heads and came out with 2 lbs (800g) elderberries.

I'm knackered now!

Comment

i must have packed them tighter had 6 lb

Comment

Originally posted by kampervan View Post
          i must have packed them tighter had 6 lb
          alright alright Its quality not quantity!

Comment

dont know was seriouly bored after 3 hours stripping the berries off

Comment

Was going to post the same thing, these are a pain in the back side...and I anit doing any more!!

The other day the wife and I went picking and got 1/2 a bucket but after both of us de-stalking etc for an hour and half, all we ended up with was 2lbs...Elderberrys can wait, had enough of them

Dont they just sell them in a supermarket or is it because they are a pain to pick the cost would be too high?

Comment

Trust me fellas.....the wine at the end of it will justify EVERYTHING

I used to hate elderberry picking/destalking...but the wine is just divine (although it needs to be around 2 to 3 year old to be worthy...)

buy a steam juicer!
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I make mine @ 12% so it is full bodied, rich and full of character and varietal fruitiness, but not rocket fuel.
                  I'm not keen on hangovers, and realised that I have the power to control this end of things by using my hydrometer (for it is my friend) at the start, I want full bodied, and I want taste, I just dont want to wait years before its drinkable, so steam juicing gives me wine drinkable in the year I made it

regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Hi Lockwood, we steamed some to, made a 100% steamed elderberry juice and it was great. We hand picked each berry last year for this batch. This year I want to try something different, instead of picking the berries off by hand we are going to do the freeze and then knock off the berries from the stems, remove the bigger stems with a mesh screen and then steam them. I hope we can get the juice out of the berries and that the stems wont matter. Earlier this month we pressed some with the stems still in them and it went well, cant even find any green goo. Crackedcork
                    WVMountaineer Jacks Elderberry and Meads USA

Comment

Excellent...good job

I think the green goo must be an American varietal issue, I've never had that particular issue (of course I probably will now....)

there are tons of them outside my property, i just dont have the time to harvest!!!

Although tonight was put aside for cleaning the crusher/destemmer...but i have bought a new one....so might pick tonight after i finish work at 7

regards
                      Bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

i am guessing most have fancy machinery or use this method already but i find the easiest way of removing the berries is to cut the heads off then, using a fork, run the fork through the stems which easily and quickly separates the berries from the stem. The smaller heads can be done in one go, whilst the larger heads, have thicker subsidery stems, will require a few passes, concentrating on smaller areas at a time, otherwise you might find your ripping the stems off without removing the berries from the stalks.

I assume most already have their preferred method, but if it helps anyone out, it doesnt take long to do.
                        A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well

Comment

Elberberry production line.

OK, for quick, or as quick as it can be, destalking of elderberries I work like this.

1) Collect nice and ripe elderberries.
                          2) Half fill a fermenting bin with water and destem the elderberries with a fork directly into the bin. This both rinses the berries and grades out the unripe one.
                          3) While you are 'strigging' the berries as above periodically give the bin of elderberries a stir skimming off the floating unripe berries, bits of stalk insects etc.
                          4) Place a coarse garden riddle over a second fermenting bin, then pour the first bin of water and elderberries through the riddle into the second. By happy coincidence my riddle fits perfectly into a 6G fermenting bin
                          5) Stand back and be amazed at how many bits of stalk escaped your carefull strigging and are still mixed into the berries. Then rub the berries through the riddle leaving those stalks behind.
                          6) Give the berries a final stir and skim off the floating debis again - job done.

Its amazing how much stalk and unripe berries you can select out like this, and it takes no time at all over just removing them with a fork.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            ....so might pick tonight after i finish work at 7

Bob
                            Doh! I was planning to 'help' you with this on the 12th
                            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I've finally found a use for offspring (other than using up all your hard earned cash): picking elderberries.

However, at 21 months old, there's only so many branches he can reach without being lifted up. And washing them from the green berries ended up being a bit of a water fight with berries and water all over the place.

Still, it was fun and I've got a pile of berries in the freezer...

Comment

Working...
                              X