Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Recipe for pulp left from steam juicing (seconds)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Recipe for pulp left from steam juicing (seconds)

Hi Again

I was going to start my wine this weekend, packed all my stuff to my cabin and got ready to go and I had forgot my yeast... still in fridge at home... So I picked elderberries and blackberries and steam juiced them. I ended up with about 40# of pulp which stilll has a lot of juice in it and I had remembered seeing some recipes on running the seconds pulp and making a light wine. I dont remember if it was here or not but I couldn't find it in a search... Anyone have a good receipe for steam juiced elderberry / blackberry pulp?

Thanks

RON

Not sure there will be much left in the fruit after steaming....

generally though use twice the amount of fruit you would use in a fresh ingredients wine

for blackberry and ederberry i normally use 4lb fruit to a gallon, so im thinking 8lb steam residue, add 1 litre of red grape concentrate for body, then 4 litres water, or 4 litres red grape juice and 1 litre water, sugar to 1.070 make sure you add nutrient, ) as the must will have little or nutrient left in it after steaming. add acid (to 7 g/l if you can test)

should result in a light style wine for BBQ quaffing
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks Bob that was fast, I wasnt getting the litre per 3# of berries out of my old old steam juicer. maybe 1 1/2 litre per 6 pounds. I noticed the pulp still had some whole looking berries in it also... but it reduced in size to half in the basket... I have about 28# of elderberry pulp... I started with probably close to 50# of elderberries and I think i got about 3 1/2 gal of juice... and 6#of blackberry pulp and a gal of juice... so I guess I will have to be heavy on elderberry to blackberry ratio
      SO>>>>
      1 tea nutrient per gal
      1 tea pectiz enzyme per gal
      Lalvin 1116 yeast
      Tartric acid
      anything else?

When You say 1 litre of red grape concentrate, do you mean one 12oz can of frozen 100% welches or three 12 oz cans of 100% welches?

Do you have a ballpark for the # of sugar to be at 1.070?

about what aprox will the alc% be using your 8# fruit, 1 can welches 100% grape, and sugar to 1.070?

Thanks again Bob

Anyone else with tried and true receipes? I got a lot of pulp!!

RON

Comment

Originally posted by Asparky View Post
        Do you have a ballpark for the # of sugar to be at 1.070?
        I dont like to quote amounts as it depends on how much sugar is left in the pulp (likely none) so your hydrometer is your friend in this regard (if pushed i would say 2lb should get you to around 1.072...but dont quote me)

about what aprox will the alc% be using your 8# fruit, 1 can welches 100% grape, and sugar to 1.070?
        around 10 to 11 %
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Learned some stuff the hard way last night:

1.) Steam-extracted juice is NOT pasteurised - i.e. it WILL start to ferment if left out of the fridge or freezer.
          2.) Mahonias stain EVERYTHING.

If you don't plan to use your steam extracted juice right away, either freeze it or put a little K-meta in it to hinder fermentation.
          Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
          Twitter: VirtualWineO
          Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

I'd imagine that it probably would be pasturised. The steam that is passing through the fruit will be close to 100c, so the outer skins will rapidly become pasturised. The fruits themselves will rapidly rise to a very hot temperature (I'm remembering the vegetables I steamed for dinner last night which burned my mouth). Thus the juices will also be very hot. Not boiling, but almost certainly above 72 c (pasturisation) which kills almost all micro organisms including all yeasts

However, as soon as the liquid cools to around 35 c or 40 c, (shortly after leaving the steamer) it's a perfect medium for the growth of organisms, so it'll rapidly become infected and soon develop a lively culture.

Hence your juice started fermenting of its own accord when left out of the fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
              Hence your juice started fermenting of its own accord when left out of the fridge.
              except that the bottles were sealed so its a bit of a mystery
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
              X