Making wine kits more fruity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making wine kits more fruity

I normally use Beaverdale wine kits which I find very good, but is there anything I can add to make it more fruity where you can taste the fruit like plum, cherry, etc like you find in commercial wines. Plonker

You could add a fruit concentrate towards the later stages of ferment which should infuse some flavours, just don't overdo it.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Fruit concentrate

Thanks Duffbeer, do I need a special type of fruit concentrate and could you recommend one and just how much should I use, I don,t want to spoil it, I will be using a Beaverdale Barolo. Plonker.

Comment

Originally posted by Plonker View Post

but is there anything I can add to make it more fruity where you can taste the fruit like plum, cherry, etc like you find in commercial wines. Plonker
        Make a kit that is the same grape varietal of the wine you like commercially....

which commercial wine are you trying to replicate?
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Fruit concentrate

Hi Lockwood, the wine kit I will be using is Beaverdale Barolo but I'm not thinking of a specific commercial wine but the type which are very fruity, one that comes to mind is a Chilean red which had a real fruity taste, you could detect specific berries in it. thanks, Plonker.

Comment

I really dont think adding plums/cherries to a barolo will do it much good, but it will be interesting to know the results if you try...

its the grape varietal that provides the fruit tones, adding it artificially wont be as good...

the cilieguilio we are having tomorrow is known as the cherry grape, as it produces cherry undertones, but adding cherry to replicate it wont be as good (I feel)

let the Barolo age a little longer and you may find typical Barolo characteristics of wild roses and tar coming through, Barolo is a big chewy wine, its not meant to express fruitiness as much.

Try the Vie du Chateau du Roi that Beaverdale do, should give you more "plumminess" (if thats even a word)

hope this helps
            regards
            Bob
            Last edited by lockwood1956; 11-09-2009, 02:50 PM.
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

One of the "tricks" I have learned about increasing the "fruit" of the wine is to sweeten it just a bit directly before serving.

Adding 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and dissolving it in a glass will bring out more fruitiness in the wine and will reduce the astringency and acid.

I find that by adding fruit to the wine tends to cover up what you are seeking.

Comment

Fruit concentrate

Thanks Lockwood & P Cuthbert for your advice and help, I'll have a look at the Beaverdale kit you mentioned, I've never seen it in my local shop but it should be on site, I'll take your advice on the Barolo and let it lie for 6 months which is very hard to do. I have in the past put a little sugar in the bottles where the wine was a little bitter and it does make a big difference, but the wine was only 3 months old and I did not leave it to mature long enough, I'm learning as I go along. Thanks, Plonker.

Comment

Working...
                X