No announcement yet.

Stupid mistake. Misjudged fermentation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid mistake. Misjudged fermentation.

Woops. Just done a stupid mistake. My own damn laziness.
    Whilst fermenting my Ribena wine i had genuinly thought it had finished fermenting. I had left it a week after bubbling had stopped and the very top of the container looked as if it was starting to clear already. As such i racked, stabilised and Campden'd. Problem is after 2 weeks and 3 lots of Ritchies Kwik clear its still very cloudy.
    Last night i checked it with a Hydrometer and low and behold still 1.60. it had only fermented 0.20 . I should of checked this originally as this wine is a notoriously slow fermenter.
    Anyway All I had was some Youngs Yeast and I added it. Its now fermenting again but have i damaged it. If its a down the sinker its my own fault

If it has restarted then the job's a good one and you have been lucky, the sulphite will have not done much harm and may even have been of benefit by the production of glycarol, the only damage I can forsee is the over use of finings which can result in unpleasant flavour/bouquet, but you may still be ok.
    This may just help to point out that your hydrometer is your friend and you should never presume an outcome without taking a reading.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
    X