Pomace wine recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pomace wine recipe

Has anybody tried the Pomace wine recipe in the 'Growing Vines to make Wines' book? Sounds like a cheap way to make use of red grapeskins.

Yes of course.....

just take the freshly pressed skins and add sugar and water to 1.070 making sure you have plenty of nutreint in there (or use a cheap kit and add the skins to it......

See in the Grapefest Section for details (2nd run we call it)
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Ok i'll have a look. Sounds like a very easy wine. Thanks.

Comment

Sounds like you've lost out there.. could have made something with that I'm sure!!

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          ...or use a cheap kit and add the skins to it......
          A very nice 2nd wine can be made using this technique. Believe it or not, the cheaper the better.
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            Yes of course.....

just take the freshly pressed skins and add sugar and water to 1.070 making sure you have plenty of nutreint in there (or use a cheap kit and add the skins to it......

See in the Grapefest Section for details (2nd run we call it)
            At the risk of sounding blonde, I can't find the destructions for the 2nd run... can someone post a link for me please?
            HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

I'm glad it's not just me then!

Bob.... heeeeeeeeeeelp!
              HRH Her Lushness

Comment

I think what I did last year, and what I'm doing this year is pretty conventional:

The skins are there to add colour, tannin, a bit of flavour and a thriving yeast colony, so I'm going to make two second runs:

1. A cheap (cantina) red kit - I'll make up the must but I won't add yeast. I'll then add the skins (about 5 boxes worth, maybe more), and maybe some more nutrient. With any luck the yeast in the skins will fire it up very quickly. This will give me 5 gals of cheap plonk.

2. A tinned strawbery & raspberry, only around 1.065 - 1.070, 23 litres, with about 5 boxes of skins and lots of nutrient. This should give me a fruity rosé for next year's barbeque season.

As Bob mentioned above, you could just make up a sugar/water mix to around 1.070, add nutrient, and add the skins. If you had 5 boxes of grapes originally, make 2 - 2.5 gals on this run.

Last year I used the skins on a cheap Magnum kit, and the results were great.
                Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Ok, thanks Pete, I've got a cheap red kit, so I'll use the Merlot skins once they've been pressed.

Whoo hooo.... lots of lovely wine on the go....
                  HRH Her Lushness

Comment

Originally posted by ohbeary
                    Last night I processed my blackberry and elderberry must, it having been macerating with super enzyme for 3 days, all the juice was strained and rinsed for total extraction, the resulting "Pomace" was then loosened with copious amounts of water and flushed!!!, I did think briefly of having a little ferment on it to give a dry, high tannin brew, I hesitate to call it wine as it would not to my mind be drinkable as such, but an ingredient for adjusting the finished blackberry and elderberry, please tell me I didn't stuff up too badly.
                    talk got around to this from 13th post onwards here

I can't remember where i first saw the thread and suggestion, from Bob, about mixing these two berries. But as its Bob, and as i haven't tried a recipe from this forum as a template for a wine, i thought it was about time. I recently started a straight-up blackberry wine, following the very pleasing results i had with it last
                    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
                      I'll use the Merlot skins once they've been pressed.
                      I LOVE 2nd run wines, its almost like.....wine for free

remember you wantr less alcohol and less quantity on a 2nd run...aim for 1/2 the volume and 7/8 the alc content(ish...if first wine was 13% aim for 10 to 11% on 2nd run)
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                      X