Pectolase timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pectolase timing

1st off apologies if this is a repeat but i`ve trawled for hours looking for a defenitive answer/thread similar etc. TNA?
    As it "says on the tin" I`m trying to maximise yield of fruit extraction via pectolase/pectic enz with a country wine damson recipe but totally lost as to which stage to add the pecto?
    First batch looks good but it was after 7 days of first ferment that i added the pecto and the racked 3 gallon now looks paltry on body and more peach colored semi-clear than red? (unless this develops over the 3-12 month period?)
    Many appreciations for any advice?

Welcome!

First of all, fruit wines don't always come out looking the same color as the fruit it came from. It's not unusual for Damson/Plum wines to be peach in color.

Usually the recommended time to add pectic enzyme is several hours after making the first sulphite addition, and before you add the yeast. Pectic wil aid in breaking down the fruit during fermentation. But your recipe may vary. Follow the recipe directions, but if it doesn't give any clear indication, then follow the above guideline.
    Steve

Comment

Many thanks for this NW ,
      My only gripe now is not knowing when the "first sulphite addition" is?
      I always assumed that one of the first stages was adding yeast after preparing the fruit & sugars etc. so now i`m more lost than before lol
      The recipe is very basic and does not even mention pectolase but to my limited knowledge i know it can be very important in country wines but i`m oblivious to what stage its added during the primary ferment?

Comment

I always add Pectolase and a Camden tablet when I've made up the must and then wait 24 hours before adding the yeast. This gives both time to do their job and not inhibit the yeast.

Every other racking is the recommended dosage for Camden tablets, but an important thing to remember is that it's virtually never too late to add pectolase if you've forgotten it at the beginning.
        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

,,,another essential info reply
          thank you mamgi

Comment

With the variations of fruit etc in country wines, the recipes and methods can vary so much.

If you put pectolase in all of them you can't go wrong. I tend to prepare my fruit, whether that be removing stones, slicing/dicing/crushing etc etc then add the various possible acids, sugar (normally I'll use about half of what the recipe suggests and then test the gravity after I've added the any water required), sulphites/campden tablets, add the water (if in a DJ, I'll leave a good couple of inches or so as some yeast/fruit combo's can foam like hell - but if it's in a bucket fermenter, I'll add it up to the recommended level).

Then I'll test the gravity to make sure if I need any more sugar to bring it up to required levels.

Once I'm happy with it in everything except the yeast, then I'll add the pectolase/pectic enzyme. I then leave it for about 24 hours or so before pitching the yeast.

What does pectolase do ? it helps break down any pectin that might be either in the fruit/juice etc, or that has been generated by any heating processes that the fruit may have been exposed to (I "steam extract" a lot of my fruit, so the heating processes of that can make things, potentially, worse than normal). It also seems to help with juice extraction if you're using fruit/pulp for the amount of juice available for ferment, for flavouring and colour extraction etc.

Plus it gives you time to decide whether you want to make a yeast starter, or, as might be suggested/recommended on the pot/sachet, pitch the yeast dry (some just say about rehydrating but not actually going as far as "starting" it).

Also, you will find it had to "kill" the yeast if the must is at room temperature. As Jan already said about keeping some distance between sulphite and yeast...... sulphite will "stun" yeast, but it can also slow down the time that a yeast needs to start working (reproducing and then fermenting).

You can also use pectolase after the ferment has finished, though you'd often find that you'll use twice the amount if used after the ferment. So it's more cost effective to used it before.

As you are referring to damson wine, and damsons are, after all, a type of plum, I'd direct you toward a post at Luc Volders blog. Plum wines are notoriously difficult to get clear and Luc has some excellent ideas about fruit preparation that helps with that (Soda ash, is, apparently, sodium carbonate). You just have to scroll down to the english translation that he always includes......... if you don't speak Dutch, that is.....

Hopefully, some of that will be of use to you.

regards

jtfb
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

,,,I`m astounded by the responses & thank you all so much for the pointers & links
              Impeccable stuff FB (`leon` Blade runner?)
              Added the pecto late last night so now the sugar solutions cooled i`ll add & introduce the yeast/nutrient tonite, "Practice makes prefect" and this ones looking better already as i`ve processed all the damson & sultana to a muddy pulp so will refer to the clearing/finings info!
              thanks again all
              (Been a great year for forraging )

Comment

Working...
              X