A lesson in stress with a kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lesson in stress with a kit

I got 2 young's wine kits, Riesling and Elderberry, both put into demijohns on the same day, same cleaning etc, temp was good. the elderberry started fermenting within 24 hours, the Reisling.....nothing, all of the yeast had settled in the bottom, so I stirred it up a couple of times, checked the temp.... still nothing, you might think it could'nt get any worse.... well about 5 minutes after stirring with a spoon handle, I heard a *POP* went into to check the Riesling, a large wet patch around the bottom of the demijohn, panic stations, I racked into a bucket, then moved the demijohn for inspection, only for the bottom to fall off.......

I put it from bucket into a 5 litre fermenter, added some Lalvin -EC1118, kept checking it, nothing, decided to try a yeast starter, again nothing, didn't work

Should I just dump this and move on, could it possibly be frozen and used as Grpae juice concentrate?, seem's like this kit was a curse for me

have you any more 1118 yeast?

If so, make another starter, not too big though, In a wine bottle. (some warm water, a little sugar, pinch of acid, bigger pinch of yeast nutrient) have that somewhere warm (22c) for 30 to 60mins, It should then be going nicely

Then add a small volume of your must to it, doubling in volume. Leave a while for that to be going well, then double the volume again with more must.

Continue this process till all the must is going a treat. I've used this method a few times for stuck ferments usually but works well with 'difficult' starters

Comment

Just wondering. Have you checked the SG on this? Some yeasts show very little actioin whilst doing the job. It may be finished.

Comment

Originally posted by P cuthbert View Post
        Just wondering. Have you checked the SG on this? Some yeasts show very little actioin whilst doing the job. It may be finished.
        Yeah I checked with the hydrometer, it was still at the O.G

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
          have you any more 1118 yeast?

If so, make another starter, not too big though, In a wine bottle. (some warm water, a little sugar, pinch of acid, bigger pinch of yeast nutrient) have that somewhere warm (22c) for 30 to 60mins, It should then be going nicely

Then add a small volume of your must to it, doubling in volume. Leave a while for that to be going well, then double the volume again with more must.

Continue this process till all the must is going a treat. I've used this method a few times for stuck ferments usually but works well with 'difficult' starters
          Thanks Rich, but this has already cost 2 packets of yeast and too much headache, it's getting poured down the sink

Comment

Working...
          X