Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lalvin ICV/D-47

Hi all,
    I managed to get some of the above for making WAH white wine #1, and was wondering if I might ask a few questions?

1) I have the option of fermenting in the house (@ approx 22C) or in the garage (it's getting cold here now, about 7C at night (outside) and 18C in the day), so is it best to ferment in the garage or would I end up with a stuck fermentation?
    2) I note that this yeast gives off some nice flavours if you "leave the wine on the lees", but was wondering if that meant the lees from the primary or after racking off, and for how long should I leave it?

Thanks in advance.

With that much variation in temperature, you are better off fermenting in the house. Yeast don't like unpredictability and tend to respond by emitting stinky odors.

You also don't want to leave wine on a heavy layer of lees for extended lengths of time, but a light dusting (a centimeter or so) in the bottom of the secondary is fine. However, the only way to derive any benefit is to occasionally stir the lees gently back into solution.
    Steve

Comment

Agreed. Batonnage (leaving on the lees as Steve suggests, then stirring every few days for a month or so) does work well with this yeast - my Grapefest 08 Trebbiano responded very well to it.
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

So should I rack it off after a few days and then leave it for a month giving it a shake every now and then, or should I leave it in the primary for a month with a bit of shaking?

Comment

Personally, I'd follow the tutorial up to and including the degassing stage. After degassing the wine should start to clear. When it does, gently stir the sediment back into the wine. Repeat every 3 days or so for 3 or 4 weeks.

Stir gently, don't shake. If you shake you will introduce oxygen into the wine, increasing the risk of spoilage.
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Working...
          X