Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Chapitalise or not to Chapitalise

Hi there,

On Saturday I harvested my Seyval Blanc grapes from the garden, and having kept the blackbirds off them I managed to fill a 5 gallon bucket with the bunches. Having spent a lot of time getting the juice out of them I ended up with about 6 litres, which I don't think is too bad for 1 5 year old vine.

Anyway, having measured the gravity, it's 1066 at 20c, which according to my book is about 8.8% alc. Is this enough, or should I add some sugar to get it up to 10%?

Thanks

Kieron.
    Visit my Gold Panning Blog

Off the top of my head, I'd say that you need to get it upto 1.080 before you start the ferment, but if you hang around a bit, I'm sure Bob or one of the others who do more fermenting with grapes will be along to answer your question.
    HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Right. It takes a minimum of 9% alcohol to preserve wine for any length of time. 1.080-1.085 is probably a good number to shoot for.

You'll need to chaptalize about a quarter kilo of sugar to increase your SG to 1.080.

I'm guessing your acidity is pretty high as well?
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
        Right. It takes a minimum of 9% alcohol to preserve wine for any length of time. 1.080-1.085 is probably a good number to shoot for.

You'll need to chaptalize about a quarter kilo of sugar to increase your SG to 1.080.

I'm guessing your acidity is pretty high as well?
        I decided not to measure the acidity, although I have the kit to do so, as I want to see what the grapes produce 'as is'. 1066 will not reach 9% alc, so I will add some sugar.

I added the yeast to the juice last night (midnight) and it's fizzing away already, so I'd better get the sugar ready today.

Thanks

Kieron

Comment

I know it's grapes and not mead Kieron but the mead lot over at gotmead often add additional fermentables at set points i.e. the 1/3 sugar break, or 1/2 sugar break.

So if you know roughly how much sugar you're thinking of adding, then keep a close eye on your hydrometer and get it as close as life allows..... oh and I'm thinking that it's probably best if you do it in stages i.e. not the whole (as suggested) amount, just break it into maybe 2 doses.

Oh and maybe it's worth hitting it with a tiny amount of nutrient at the same time, something like 1/8th or 1/4 of a teaspoon full.

Then when it's at 1020, transfer it to secondary and airlock it down to finish.......

dunno if you want to take it to those lengths or not, just though it's worth mentioning.....

regards

jtfb
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I have just pressed my Seyval. Tyically I would want to get them to 11% so I am adding sugar to get is there - just off the cash n carry now(ish) for 48 kg.

My readings were brix 15 - based on that I am doing 50g per litre. PH 2.4 (oooerr) not done TA yet either. The high acidity I will remove by cold stabilization later in the year (AKA leave the door open on a frosty night). This seems to work a treat.

.. so in short 'YES'. Hope that helps.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I will go and do an OG to compare .. hang on
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Six litres form one vine is very good - your picked at a good time too. My OG is 1050 ish so 7%. Your grape sugars are much better. I would still try to get it to 11% though.

Comment

I left them later last year and got 1070!. Anyway, i'm interested in the method of acidity reduction you mentioned, as by taste the wine is quite sharp. Does it allow acid crystals to form (tartric?)?

Comment

Yes it will. I use it with all english wines. Very easy put it outside for a couple of nights in the cold 0c - 2C Then rack it off in the morning (while still cold), you should find tartaric acids crystals in the bottom and down the sides of the vessels.

Comment

Working...
                    X