Chestnuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chestnuts?

Ok, so, I was thinking about wine No1 and making some in time for xmas. Which got me thinking about my next brew and if I could make something for next xmas to allow a year to age.

So will roasted chestnuts make a decent wine?

I was thinking maybe a red.

After googling, searching this forum, checking the Keller website....nada. Some posts where people are asking if it would be decent, even one saying some couple somewhere were experimenting with it.

Will it make a decent red? Any ideas on how much nut to use?
    With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

I dont think its a good idea...but thats me..I think you would be "nuts" to try it

dont think there is enough "stuff" in the nuts to provide asnything fermentable, you could I suppose make a wine No1 and infuse it (after ferment) with the nuts, but still im not convinced its a good idea, perhaps infusing vodka with them to provide a liqueur might yield your best result.

if you want a Christmas wine, try the Joes ancient orange mead

Joe Mattioli's Ancient Orange and Spice Mead It is so simple to make and you can make it without much equipment and with a multitude of variations. This could be a first Mead for the novice as it is almost fool proof. It is a bit unorthodox but it has never failed me or the friends I have shared it with. (snip)...it will be

I think it really tastes of Christmas...

or the wine No4 (xmas Pudding) very rich and scrumptious
    Dessert wines are often referred to as after dinner wines due to the fact that they are sweet, high in alcohol, very rich and full bodied. The following recipe derived by Vera Durkin has taken prizes and best in show at the National in previous years and is posted in the recipe section here under "Christmas Pudding

hope this helps

(if you come to Pontefract wine circle on the 2nd, the competition is Christmas pudding wine)
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 18-10-2009, 09:14 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      (if you come to Pontefract wine circle on the 2nd, the competition is Christmas pudding wine)

meaning you will get to sample some
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks Bob

It was a nice thought while it lasted Although I should have expected it when there isn't a recipe anywhere

I shall be joining you for the Nov meeting, I'm intrigued to see what the Christmas pud wine tastes like as Mummy makes a decent Christmas pud (just I don't actually like the texture of Christmas pudding so I don't eat it) and always has loads left.

She makes one every year to take to relatives in France, might do it and send a bottle over.

Unfortunately I will be driving, which means no drinkies, have to as I have work the day after. Unless I find some unsuspecting soul to drop me off and pick me up. OH needs to hurry up and get the driving test passed before I get too involved in wine circles really.

Comment

If yosk Karl nicely he might let you stewartd for him...he is judging the comp (that way you taste ALL of the xmas pud wines)

the offer of a bed for the night still stands if you want it, but completely fine if you dont.

(you may find the Ponte Massive a bit "loud" if you stay sober, especially after 9pm

oooo mr Sharp!...Karl is judging, that means you have the Com...bang that Gavel!
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

If yosk Karl nicely he might let you stewartd for him...he is judging the comp (that way you taste ALL of the xmas pud wines)

the offer of a bed for the night still stands if you want it, but completely fine if you dont.

(you may find the Ponte Massive a bit "loud" if you stay sober, especially after 9pm

oooo mr Sharp!...Karl is judging, that means you have the Com...bang that Gavel!
            OH NO! So Karl gets even drunker than usual if he's tasting everything? I was considering coming up for it... but maybe I won't now....
            HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Just thought of another reason not to think about or use nuts in wines......

I'd guess that most nuts have a fair amount of fat/oil in them, which would probably dissolve out with the alcohol content and give rather an oily/fatty mess in the wine i.e. floaters of fat or oil.

I don't know for certain, but suspect that this would be the case. Obviously there's other things that end up as wine that contain small amounts of oil, but probably only enough to emulsify in with the rest of the liquid, whereas nuts, well...................

Just my tuppence worth....

regards

jtfb
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I did wonder whether roasting them before hand might help drive off some of the oils.

In other news I have devised two cunning plans

Plan 1, build up enough flexi at work to be able to take some leave on the Tuesday morning, meaning being able to stop over and enjoy the evening

Plan 2, do enough favours for mummy/daddy to get them to drop me off and pick me up again

p.s. what precisely does stewarding involve?

p.p.s. HL if I'm subjected to it, you should be too!

Comment

Originally posted by ukric View Post

p.p.s. HL if I'm subjected to it, you should be too!
                  Ref;

PS - Stewarding involves getting drunk with Karl

PPS - And I've seen the drunken evidence already thanks!

(and I've wasted at least 2 hours of my life sat in traffic jams on the A1 recently, not to mention the one getting TO the A1, so that will do me for a while now thanks...)
                  HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post

I'd guess that most nuts have a fair amount of fat/oil in them, which would probably dissolve out with the alcohol content and give rather an oily/fatty mess in the wine i.e. floaters of fat or oil.

I don't know for certain, but suspect that this would be the case. Obviously there's other things that end up as wine that contain small amounts of oil, but probably only enough to emulsify in with the rest of the liquid, whereas nuts, well...................

Just my tuppence worth....

regards

jtfb

Another reason, that I thought of not using them...

They don't really break down...
                    If they are frozen, then defrosted, they have the same texture.
                    If they are roasted they have the same texture.
                    So, I am not sure how successful the yeast would be
                    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

hmmmmm, should be interesting.

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post

You should see the mess that Xmas pud wine gets it's self into, when it comes to racking you need an earth scraper and a dredger.
                      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by ukric View Post
                        Over the past 12 months I have done quite a bit of stewarding as part of my quest to become a "Jedi Master" so I feel that I am qualified to answer your question.

To put it simply, a steward is an assistant for the wine judge. Under normal circumstances a judge has quite a bit to do when judging a class and the steward will help by numbering bottles, doing a little paperwork, making sure that the judge has the correct bottle in front of him/her etc. The judge will taste all the wines and will offer you the opportunity to do the same (you don't have to spit it out ) and may ask your opinion on the wine. Some judges may ask you what order you would place the wines in (1st, 2nd, 3rd etc).

In the case of the Xmas pud comp at Ponte, there will only be a few bottles (12 or less) so the only thing you will need to do is taste the wines and enjoy your self.

Stewarding gives you the chance to learn a heck of a lot in a short time and your winemaking will improve as a result.

Look forward to meeting you again a week next Monday, hope you don't have to drive.
                        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Working...
                        X