Foaming bobbly airlocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foaming bobbly airlocks

I mentioned the bobbly airlocks earlier. Now heres a puzzle (answers on a postcard etc)

Barrel with 16 cms head space foams through airlock. Not enough header I here you cry - and I agree.

BUT.... I had not got enough time to move some of the must to another barrel. Go on - you try pumping fizzing wine - good game good game.

SO in am attempt at a quick fix I opened the other hole on the barrel and fitted another airlock. Purely to buy me some time, as one was being overrun inside 20 mins. I htought this would buy me time for a cup of tea and a scratch.

FUNNY thing is the must has now stopped foaming altogether in the headspace. In just two hours. The temp has remained constant.

DETAILS. Seyval white grape juice, 210 liter max 180 liter fill blue HDPE barrels. Lavin K1v11113dr4656647g77465656777222341111 yeast (can't remember it exactly)

So is foaming caused by the slightest back pressure caused by C02 not getting away fast enough?

I have gone back to one airlock but no sign of foaming. There is some stuff we use in the carpet cleaner that say's low foam on the label - perhaps I should bung some of that in.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Multi purpose wine cleans your carpet and your insides hehe
    With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Working...
    X