Wine no 1 & sulphite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine no 1 & sulphite

I was just wondering, is there a reason sulphite isn't added at the start? The instructions have sulphite added when it's racked.
    With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

If you added sulphite at the start the yeast would not work.
    The sulphite stops the yeast working, the only reason you add it at the beginning is if you are starting with fresh fruit and need to "sterilise" them, in which case you do not add the yeast for a few days.
    The sulphite is added after fermentation has taken place to preserve the wine (ie stop oxidation and bacterial growth).

Comment

By start I mean, prepare must with sulphite, leave 12-24 hours then pitch yeast, just to be clear.

Most of the 14 batches I've done have been done in this way, I've yet to have one where the yeast do not work/start fermentation.

Comment

Sulphite doesn't stop yeast working per-say. High concentrations will kill yeasts. Different yeasts have different tolerances.

When making wine from pulp you often add sulphite to the mash to kill any wild yeasts / bacteria, and use a yeast with a tolerance above the amount added.

Comment

Also the reason it isn't added / needed is that the juice from cartons will not contain any wild yeast or bacteria.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

ah, that explains it better, ta

Comment

Working...
            X