wine number 1 lazyness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wine number 1 lazyness?

Hi all, Before Lockwood beats me up over this im thinking about not racking my next batch of wine number 1. Bearing in mind how quick it is and how little amount of lees are produced by it would it really be too terrible not to rack it after fermentation. Bearing in mind the Youngs kits dont allow for this and turn out ok im thinking No 1 might be ok.
    As soon as fermentation is finished I woukld stabilise, campden and then Kwik Clear straight away.

Has anyone tried this before?

It should work, but personally I would rack before stabilising. It only takes a couple of minutes (and I'm dead slow ).

Let us know how it turns out.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I haven't... I dont really see the point to be honest.
      It is only cutting out one step.... which could spoil the wine.

Youngs, and some other kits ask that you don't rack before degassing ect...
      But this adds to the body of the finished wine.

The tuturials help build good wine making skills.
      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

I think it would be perfectly fine. I often make white wines without racking even once, and they are sometimes on the lees for 6 months at a time.

The only thing you have to watch for is off odors, which can form if the sediment starts to compact and decay. If you only have a half inch of sediment or less, you should be okay.
        Steve

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Im going to give it a go.
          I know the wine no 1 recipe is geared up to give you an understanding of the process and to teach good winemaking practice and I certainly would not do it with any other, but bearing in mind the wine is pretty much drunk as soon as its bottled I thought the wine might be quick enough to get away with it.

As for it only taking a little while to do bearing in mind the amount of wine no 1 I have on the go at any one time this isnt exactly accurate. If it was a gallon or two that would be fine, but I seem to be making it in rather bigger batches at the moment

Comment

Working...
          X