Anyone thinking of doing a Pumpkin wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone thinking of doing a Pumpkin wine

what with Hallowine sorry halloween!! coming up and all...seems there plenty of recipies on the web

I will try this one unless anyone knows a tried and tested one ...

Makes one gallon.

Ingredients:

4 lbs. Pumpkin Meat 7 pints Water
    2 1/4 cup Sugar 2-1/2 tsp. Acid Blend
    1 tsp. Yeast Nutrient 1 Campden Tablet, crushed
    1 pkg. Wine Yeast 1/4 Tsp. Tannin

Keep your acid tester and hydrometer handy. As with all wild fruit the sugar and acid content varies greatly from year to year and even from one location to another. The recipe above is a general recipe to use which you may have to adjust.

Directions:

Wash and cut open pumpkin. Remove seeds and strings. Rough peel skin.
    Mash pumpkin meat into straining bag.
    With all pulp in bag, squeeze juice into primary fermenter. Tie top of straining bag and place in primary fermenter.
    Add all remaining ingredients, except yeast.
    Cover primary fermenter.
    Wait 24 hours, then add yeast and re-cover primary fermenter.
    Stir daily, check S.G. and press pulp lightly to aid extraction.
    When S.G. reaches 1.040 (3-5 days), lightly press juice from bag. Then syphon juice into glass container and attach airlock.
    When S.G. reaches 1.000 (usually about 3 weeks), fermentation is complete. Syphon juice off sediment into clean glass container. Re-attach airlock.
    To aid in clearing, syphon again in 2 months and again, if necessary, before bottling.
    You can age this wine dry or sweeten slightly at bottling. To sweeten, add 1/2 tsp. stablizer. Then, add 1/4 lbs. dissolved sugar per gallon.

I've not made this Paul, but I see the recipe doesn't ask for pectolase. I would add this to all your wines as a matter of course. It won't do any harm if not necessary but will save a hell of a lot of bother at the end if your wines have problems clearing.
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I'm making Pumpkin wine this year, busy harvesting pulp ...

using this recipe from the recipe section

Pumpkin Wine Recipe - 3 Gallon batch Ingredients: 3 gallons water 12 lbs pumpkin 3 lbs white raisins 7 lbs sugar 3 sticks crushed cinnamon sticks 3 inches sliced ginger root 0.75 tsp tannin powder 3 level tsp yeast nutrient 2.5 oz acid blend 1.5 tsp pectin enzyme 1 packet of Lalvin K1-V1116 (Montpellier) yeast

I agree with Jan regarding Pectolase additions, not only does it help with clearing, but also aids extraction of Phenols
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

what could i expect from this wine Bob? you say that you never tasted a great parsnip wine but have had plenty of well made ones .... so i guess you rate this as better than parsnip. is it a long waiter (2 years +). Are the big orange pumpkins good for it?

oh ... anyone know a leafy lane in essex with good pumpkin bush foraging
        To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
        A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Pumpkins down to 50p each in Lidl today.

Comment

i sense a cheap brew incoming!

cheers Rich

Originally posted by Rich View Post
            Pumpkins down to 50p each in Lidl today.
            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Originally posted by ms67 View Post
              what could i expect from this wine Bob?
              Dont know, not made one or tasted one......

Both Martina and Karl have made it and recommend it, so we shall see

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                Dont know, not made one or tasted one......

Both Martina and Karl have made it and recommend it, so we shall see

regards
                Bob

A few people have recommended parsnip wine, when are we getting a tried and tested Lockwood wines recipe?

Comment

i make a parsnip wine that has gone down very well with all that have tried it (.... professional classical pianist - Italian, My Dad - compared to Italian white wine, and various others). I have to dig around and find my notes so i can repeat it, but that will be soon as i am accumulating parsnips presently. Will post my recipe when i find it. Basically it's C.J.J. Berry but not as much sugar and some lemon zest and ginger, Sauternes yeast, tartaric and citric acids if i remember right. The main attention to detail for was in chopping to size aqnd simmering the parsnips for just the right amount of time. i'll post a recipe within a couple of days, if not send me a PM and i'll get onto it! oh, you'll need about 1kg parsnips per gallon of wine, a little extra won't hurt

Comment

I checked every supermarket in Eastbourne today hoping for a reduced Pumpkin or 2. Most sold out days ago. I couldnt get any

Comment

Working...
                    X