bentonite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bentonite

anyone bought this in bulk, used for lots of different things. can get 1kg for £5 on ebay. or is this different
    http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
    http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Should be fine..... As long as you can trace the history of it...
    ex ovo omnia
    Chemist, welder, homebrewer

Comment

Bentonite is used for many things outside of wine making. Is this bentonite intended for wine making? There are also several (many?) grades/types of bentonite for wine making. Make sure that you get dosage recommendations with the bentonite.

At one point when I ran a store (in Canada), there were over six types/grades of wine making bentonite in the store. All had slightly different dosage/usage instructions.

Steve

Steve
      the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
      "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

I bought 200g for £4 from ebay so your getting a great deal. Mine was intended for face masks (i think) but clears the wine great!
        My Website - Backyard.8m.net
        Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

Comment

Originally posted by cpfan View Post
          Bentonite is used for many things outside of wine making. Is this bentonite intended for wine making? There are also several (many?) grades/types of bentonite for wine making. Make sure that you get dosage recommendations with the bentonite.

At one point when I ran a store (in Canada), there were over six types/grades of wine making bentonite in the store. All had slightly different dosage/usage instructions.

Steve

Steve
          Steve can you remember why so many different grades to clear with. My understanding is, bentonite grabs the proteins and settles them out. If that is what it does why the grade difference?Just trying to fill a void in my knowledge.
          http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

rjb:

Remember you asked. First differences are by appearance and mixability.

Spagnols kits - Cellar Classic different from Vino del Vida, both different from Grand Cru/Cru Select - that's three

Vineco kits - this was my favourite

Pebble Hill kits (packaged by Mosti Mondiale) - really crappy stuff

Five so far

The next were bought by name

Sold to me in bulk as different grades/types by Pebble Hill as replacements for their kit bentonite - at least two (I don't remember if these were all bentonites: Nacalit, Gelita-Klar, Klar-Sol)

Sold to me in bulk by Buon Vino to try to solve problems with filtering the Pebble Hill kits - at least one (couldn't find the name)

So now I'm at eight probably all in the store at the same time.

Since then Spagnols has changed their bentonite at least twice, and Vineco has changed theirs once.

Pebble Hill and probably Buon Vino listed more bentonites in their catalogues that I did not try.

And yes they were all being used in an attempt to clear kit wines successfully. Most problems at that time (2001-2003) were with the Pebble Hill kits that I eventually stopped selling.

Today, I use the bentonite that comes with the kit. Also I have a kg of the bentonite from Vineco that I use with fruit & Juice wines and would use to replace anything that I thought was a 'problem' bentonite. Why the Vineco? Because you don't need to rehydrate it. Just sprinkle into the must and stir well.

Hope you learned something from the above, Steve

Comment

rjb:

Also I have a kg of the bentonite from Vineco that I use with fruit & Juice wines and would use to replace anything that I thought was a 'problem' bentonite. Why the Vineco? Because you don't need to rehydrate it. Just sprinkle into the must and stir well.
              Wow - that's got to be a bonus. I've always found bentonite to be a bugger to mix up. Can it still be got?
              Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Well this might give you some idea as to why there seems to be so many different versions......

Personally, I was looking to see if what the wine making world knows as bentonite is the same as "fuller's earth" (which I know from a former life in the military world).

Either way, it might be good to know exactly which type of "bentonite" it is that is sold/used in the wine making world.....

regards

jtfb
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                  Wow - that's got to be a bonus. I've always found bentonite to be a bugger to mix up. Can it still be got?
                  I bought it at the beginning of the year at Vineco's shop in St Catharines Ontario Canada. It's probably still available there, and any Vineco retailer in Canada should be able to get it for you. Oh and it's inexpensive. I didn't look for the bill, but probably less than $10 for the kg. I sold it for $8/kg two years ago when I had the store.

But that's not much use for you blokes in the UK. (and rjb is NOT a Vineco retailer, to best of my knowledge.)

Steve

Comment

I bought it at the beginning of the year at Vineco's shop in St Catharines Ontario Canada. It's probably still available there, and any Vineco retailer in Canada should be able to get it for you. Oh and it's inexpensive. I didn't look for the bill, but probably less than $10 for the kg. I sold it for $8/kg two years ago when I had the store.

But that's not much use for you blokes in the UK. (and rjb is NOT a Vineco retailer, to best of my knowledge.)

Steve
                    Nope not yet anyway Steve. So what is your opinion of the hightail kit you put on last year?
                    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Had the first bottle at the beginning of October. LOVED IT!!! Thank you very much. I would definitely do another Wash Merlot if it was available.

Have a Hightail California Syrah sitting in the wine room to start, probably this coming week. Still trying to decide about the Niagara Gewurztraminer. Too much white in the house already.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X