Lychee wine question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lychee wine question

I've made a gallon of wine number 1 with tinned lychees and I don't know if I like it..ha ha. It tastes and smells strongly of lychee! No sh*t, I hear you cry.
    It's not unpleasant but not something i've experienced before. Is this something I should tuck away for a month or two and let it mellow or is this close to the fabled gurwertztraminer and my unsophisticated palate needs to learn to appreciate it?
    Answers on a postcard to "Confused" from Cardiff....

Yes, Gewurztraminer has a very strong spiced lychee nose
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I would say it mellowed a bit after a couple of weeks of bottling. i cant comment much past then as I drank it all

Comment

I think it is fair to say that any fruit wine will mellow out over time. I know what you mean about Lychee - it is one of my favourites, but I'm only just starting to drink the batch I made in March. The late 2008 batch is really good now.

Give it a couple of months - it will mellow and 'integrate' over time.
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

The inspiration for the initial recipe was a Gurty from the local chinky that really smelt and tasted of lychee, It does mellow over time though. It is a different taste and flavour to a dry plain white..

Comment

I added Kwik Clear yesterday and it's already taken the edge off it. Definitely not as strong as before. I think i'll bottle it this weekend and tuck it in the garage until Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by halfastory View Post
              I added Kwik Clear yesterday and it's already taken the edge off it. Definitely not as strong as before. I think i'll bottle it this weekend and tuck it in the garage until Christmas.

So, the wine wasn't even clear when you didn't like it? no surprise there really. After you've been having your tasting out of the demijon, what do you top it up with? Having several tastings can leave a large air gap and it'll then be prone to oxidise, more chance too with the bung in and out everyday to sample.

If once it's cleared and aged a little, you could try a drop or two of glycerine in it to give it a little body. I've done this in a couple of mine. It improves the body and can give it a perceived sweetness. Not too much though, just an off dry characteristic.
              Last edited by Rich; 07-11-2009, 10:13 AM.

Comment

It's not that I didn't like it, more a case of never drunk anything similar to it before. It's such a distinctive smell and flavour that I found it slightly off putting but I think i'm gonna like it.
                It'll be in bottles by tomorrow so not much chance of it oxidising fingers crossed.

Comment

Give the original Lychee recipe a go, outstanding stuff!!
                  National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Working...
                  X