Oak chips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak chips?

I want to add Oak chips to some wines Elderberry, Blackberry some mixed and similar wines what type of oak is recommended American/French, light toast or are there any types that you think I should try.
    Also when do I add them and for how long.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Terry

Originally posted by alcopop View Post
    I want to add Oak chips to some wines Elderberry, Blackberry some mixed and similar wines what type of oak is recommended American/French, light toast or are there any types that you think I should try.
    Also when do I add them and for how long.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Terry
    Heavy toasted oak will compliment full bodied reds such as elderberry, American or French is down to preference, I find American oak a little lighter than French.
    I tend to work on the basis of 50g of oak to 5 gallon for any period between 2 to 6 weeks tasting weekly after the second week and racking when I'm happy with the oak profile, don't over do it as you can add more later.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thanks Karl.
      Just read the Champers tutorial again, got the bottles just need stoppers and cages before I start.
      Terry

Comment

Ive got 2 gallon of Elderberry that has finished fermenting one gallon i am going to leave but one gallon i am going put some oak in would you rack degass stabalise and then oak or would you oak then in a few weeks time rack degass and stabalise

Comment

I would rack & stabalise then oak.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thanks Karl

Comment

Working...
            X