Raisins & Sultanas vs RGC and WGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raisins & Sultanas vs RGC and WGC

Okay, apologies if i'm stiring up old threads here, but having done a little search i've not really come up with the answers that i need.

So, what i was thinking was if i could not get hold of any WGC or RGC, could i substitute with Sultanas or Raisins (respectively). If so, what would the equivalent weight be for each to equate to say 1 litre of WGC / RGC?

I've no doubt this is a bit tricky - i appreciate that raisins and sultanas, like any dried fruit, hold a significant amount of natural sgars. Yes, i've also seen the post on how much natural sugars in a lbs of these little critters. I was also thinking about "body" as well.

I've seen various incantations in CJJJJJJJJJJJJJBerry: Prune Wine using 1lb of raisins or 1/2 pint of WGC: does this seem like an "okay" formula?

Any thoughts, really apreciated! Ta muchly!

Enjoying my White Rioja (House of Hambleton kit). Thoroughly gorgeous after only 5 months of bulk aging. Thouroughly recommend it!

A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

One kilo of sugar is roughly the equivalent to one litre of grape concentrate? (enough to take SG to 1.080)

5 pounds of Raisins or Sultanas is roughly equivalent to 3 pounds of sugar (sorry...struggling to do metric conversion!)

hope this helps
    regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      One kilo of sugar is roughly the equivalent to one litre of grape concentrate? (enough to take SG to 1.080)

5 pounds of Raisins or Sultanas is roughly equivalent to 3 pounds of sugar (sorry...struggling to do metric conversion!)

hope this helps
      regards
      Bob
      Okay. 3 pounds of sugar = 1.36 kg.

So roughly, 1 litre of grape concentrate = just under 3 pounds of sugar.

That's the sugar bit sorted, but what about "body". If i were to make a gallon of wine number 1:

Recipe
      1 litre supermarket apple juice (or 1 litre of whatever takes your fancy)
      1 litre supermarket pressed grape juice
      1 & 1/2 lb sugar 700 grams
      1 tsp yeast nutrient
      1tsp citric acid
      yeast
      water to 1 gallon

Then how much sulatanas / raisins should i be adding, instead of 1 litre of grape juice? Sorry if i am sounding pedantic, just wanted to know is all, in case (god forbid!!) i could not get hold of grape juice!!

Thanks.
      A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

Well, a litre of Tesco Pressed White Grape Juice contains 166g sugar.

It's a bit late, so over to you for the maths
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by owlwithoutfeathers View Post

So roughly, 1 litre of grape concentrate = just under 3 pounds of sugar.
          No....

1 litre of grape concentrate is equal to 1 kilo of sugar (2.2 lbs)

Grape juice is a different thing (I'm sure you knew that)

the SG of most grape juice is 1.060 and so it doesn't add much by way of sugar, but does add some body (as does apple juice).

Adding raisins/sultanas to wine number one will radically change its profile to a heavier style of wine (not a bad thing necessarily) it will make it a wine that needs more ageing too. Pure juice ferments are preferable as they make for cleaner ferments.

I would guess that around 270g of sultanas would replace the sugar content of 1 litre of grape juice. (270g sultanas contains 162 grams of sugar)

If you decide to add more sultanas (dont use raisins in white wine) you will need to reduce the sugar you add.

hope this helps
          regards
          bob
          Last edited by lockwood1956; 10-11-2009, 06:47 PM.
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
          X