bananaanananas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bananaanananas

got quite a few bananas going bad. terrible when i bought them and got them home really. rather than take them back and complain please can anyone tell me a method and recipe to turn them into something tasty i can put into a bottle

here you go

N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Banana Wine

Recipe By Terry Neive

For 1 gallon

4 1/2 lb. bananas including peel WASHED!! and sliced.
      1 (11.5 oz) welchs 100% white grape concentrate
      1 3/4 lb. granulated sugar (SG to 1.090)
      2.5 tsp acid blend (TA .65)
      1 tsp yeast nutrient
      1/8 tsp grape tannin
      1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
      6 1/2 pts water
      1-campden tablet
      Champagne wine yeast

Slice the bananas and skins into 1/4" slices discard stems. Meanwhile, bring water to boil and in it dissolve sugar completely. Add bananas with skins to the boiling water and simmer for 30 minutes. Pour bananas and water through a straining bag into primary. Tie straining bag and leave in primary and add campden tablet (for larger batches use 2 bags if necessary). When cooled to room temp, add all remaining ingredients except yeast and stir well to dissolve. 12 hours after that add activated yeast. Ferment vigorously for two to three days then remove straining bag of pulp. Squeeze bag (with sanitized rubber gloved hands) to extract as much juice as possible and add juice back to primary. Discard bag with pulp. Continue primary fermentation until SG reaches 1.010, about 5-8 days depending on the yeast you use) then rack to secondary. Attach airlock and ferment to dryness. Rack, and stir in 1 campden crush per gallon, then top up carboy and refit airlock. Proceed to clear. Keep topped up with airlock in place. Age 2 months, stabilize with 1/2 tsp potassium sorbate per gallon, top up and refit airlock. After 60 days, taste, if you want a sweeter wine make a sugar syrup and sweeten to taste. When wine is completely clear add 1 crushed campden then rack into bottles and allow 6 to 10 months rest before drinking but it will be better in a year. [Adapted from Jack Keller’s Recipe]

You will find that I made several changes to the original recipe to fit my needs

Starting must was - 5 gallon batch - SG 1.090
      Acid blend to TA .65
      PH 3.41
      You can use 1/4 tsp of Potas meta for a five gal batch instead of campdens. If you are making 5 or 6 gallons use no more than 1/2 tsp tannin total.
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

And the origional Jack Keller recipe

BANANAS

Bananas make a really versatile wine that can be consumed as is or blended with other wines to add body and a bit of flavor. While I like my banana wines semi-sweet, it can be made dry without any problem.
        I have several banana wine recipes posted near the bottom of this page. However, my favorite banana wine recipe will serve Ron's purposes well and is as follows
        BANANA WINE [DRY]

• 4 1/2 lbs peeled bananas
        • 1/2 lb banana skins
        • 1 1/2 cups (12 oz) white grape concentrate
        • 1 3/4 lbs finely granulated sugar
        • 2 tsp citric acid
        • 1/8 tsp grape tannin
        • 6 1/2 pts water
        • 1 tsp yeast nutrient
        • white wine yeast

Mash the bananas and finely chop the skins, placing both in primary. Meanwhile, bring water to boil and in it dissolve sugar completely. Pour water over fruit and skins and cover primary. When cool, add all remaining ingredients except yeast and stir well to dissolve. Add activated yeast and recover primary. Ferment vigorously for two days and strain through muslin into secondary. Attach airlock and ferment to dryness. Rack, top up, and refit airlock. Allow 90 days for wine to clear. If it does not clear on its own, add amylase according to its instructions. When clear, rack again, top up and refit airlock. Age 2 months, stabilize, and refit airlock. After final 30 days, rack into bottles and allow 3 months rest before drinking. [Author's own recipe]
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

thanks lockwood. looks a bit difficult for me but will try and give it a go. what are enzyme and acid blend and where would i get them

Comment

i hope it comes out better than my last attemp, we used it in the car petrol tank in the end . Severn trent would not allow me to pour it down the drain !!!!!!
            Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

I have started to use bananas in most of my wine to add body if I think it is needed.
              I am always on the lookout for over ripe bananas as they can be picked up for pennies, I use three peeled bananas rough chopped to a pint of water add 1 tsp citric acid and boil for 20 minutes. When cool freeze or use as required. If making a large amount freeze in 1 pint batches.
              I make a few T Bag wines for quick drinking and find that the bananas is a cheaper, and as good an alternative to grape juice.

Terry

Comment

do you mean boil so it all turns to mush and then use this as a syrup for the demi jon then just add yeast

Comment

Originally posted by alcopop View Post
                  I have started to use bananas in most of my wine to add body if I think it is needed.
                  I am always on the lookout for over ripe bananas as they can be picked up for pennies, I use three peeled bananas rough chopped to a pint of water add 1 tsp citric acid and boil for 20 minutes. When cool freeze or use as required. If making a large amount freeze in 1 pint batches.
                  I make a few T Bag wines for quick drinking and find that the bananas is a cheaper, and as good an alternative to grape juice.

Terry
                  Originally posted by bobby View Post
                  do you mean boil so it all turns to mush and then use this as a syrup for the demi jon then just add yeast

Aye.... I was wondering about this, after you posted, Alcopop....
                  It sounds like something I would like to try... it would certainly add a different flavour profile, to the wine, other than grape juice
                  Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

I boil only for 15-20 minutes then use a hand held blender.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by alcopop View Post

Terry
                      Bit of an old thread perhaps, but probably the closest to my needs:

I'm after a recipe to produce a strained banana liquor/syrup to pasteurise for addition to musts (I'm trying to eliminate pulp fermentation).

Is 3 bananas the max that will 'dissolve' into 1 pint, or can it be more concentrated?

And I've mislaid my copy of 'Must', so does anyone have the ppt acidity (I know it's low) of bananas as I'll need that raise acidity to assist preservation.
                      My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Here you go David

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                        X