Cloudy No1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloudy No1

Fermentation over, racked, but still really cloudy.

Last night I degassed it and added Youngs U Brew 2 part finings.

Today it looks much the same as it did, but with cooked egg white looking blanket on the bottom of the DJ.

How can I get it to clear? (ideally I'd like to have this bottled and ready to give away for next Thursday)
    With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Originally posted by ukric View Post
    Fermentation over, racked, but still really cloudy.

Last night I degassed it and added Youngs U Brew 2 part finings.

Today it looks much the same as it did, but with cooked egg white looking blanket on the bottom of the DJ.

How can I get it to clear? (ideally I'd like to have this bottled and ready to give away for next Thursday)
    The egg white effect is often an example that the finings have dropped without pulling the haze/sediment.
    How effectively have you de-gassed ? did you stabalise before adding the finings ? Patience is most needed when you usually don't have the time for it unfortunately there is no bible on clearing times, finings aid clearing, they will not force clear a wine that has clearing issues, ie: co2, pectin, still fermenting !! etc etc...
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Quite certain that fermentation has finished, tested it three times over 2 weeks and it's stuck at .992.

Degassing, hmm, well I think I got it all out, to be on the safe side perhaps I'd better rack it off and have another go. I haven't added any stabiliser.

*goes off to dig out a clean DJ* *limbers up the arms for more shaking*
      Last edited by ukric; 19-11-2009, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Oh my that's a lot of foam. Guess there was more gas than I thought!

Comment

When you shake, cover the hole in the DJ ( I fit a bored bung and keep my thumb over the hole). After shaking, if gas escapes when you remove the thumb from the hole, it has given up some more CO2. If you just get foam but no escaping CO2, it is degassed.

In my experience, the less gas in the wine, the more foam.

Remember, when you shake you are also aerating the wine a bit - I THINK this is what causes most of the foam.

Cold wine won't give up its CO2 - you need to get it to room temperature at least.
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Also, split it into 2 demijons before shaking it. It then has some head space to shake around in.

Comment

Patience young Jedi i don't use finings in any of my wine no 1 one's as long as they have been degassed they all just clear on there own

Comment

lol

my we are all up early today
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                X