No announcement yet.

routinely adding vitamin B1, good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• routinely adding vitamin B1, good idea?

vitamin B1 (thiamine HCL) is a yeast energizer/nutrient. a tablet costs next to nothing and it seems like it could be a good supplement to get your ferment off to a good start.

is there any down side to routinely adding vitamin B1 to the must? how much would you use?

thx steve

Originally posted by fullmoonwinery View Post
    vitamin B1 (thiamine HCL) is a yeast energizer/nutrient. a tablet costs next to nothing and it seems like it could be a good supplement to get your ferment off to a good start.

is there any down side to routinely adding vitamin B1 to the must? how much would you use?

thx steve
    well it's not a "complete" nutrient Steve but it's been used in country wine making since the great CJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ Berry wrote his book.......

I don't know how much nitrogen it would actually represent, compared to di-ammonium phosphate, or a "complete" nutrient like tronozymol or fermaid-K.

I'd just say don't go over board with it as too much of some nutrients can leave an after taste.......

regards

jtfb
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

1 3mg tablet is the dose,

but if you are using a good quality nutrient, it will contain vit B1
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        1 3mg tablet is the dose,

but if you are using a good quality nutrient, it will contain vit B1
        Well done Bob, I knew you or one of our other "forum Yoda's" would be able to offer something more accurate than one of my vague "guesstimates"...

regards

jtfb
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

as the others have just said B1 is a nutrient but not a complete nutriant so what you realy need is a whole not a part of one realy, people get these problems all the time, basicly when the ccccjjjjjjjjj berry book was writen in the 1960's a B1 tablet was all that was avalible so that went into the book. now we are 50 years of knowledge later we find that certain items in certain books could be improved, they are still right as it were but we now do things differantly and hopefully better
          Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

Working...
          X